Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it stops blowing I would like to go out this weekend. Your thoughts about my selection of either eels or trolling. If eels, can you help me with a rig. Should I weight them down or let them swim free. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Depends on where you are fishing. I mix it up a little, if I'm fishing the BB i will let it swim freely(they tend to swim down). With a good current I add some weight. You can always drift them with Bober rigs and set some wieght a various depths. I always have one out there with no weight. You can catch some real bigs slobs drifting eels.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Eels are best "dropped" on Rock you first see on your meter.You motor along slowly over humps/bumps/wrecks/drop offs/etc until you see them.Then go upcurrent and drift Eels back over them.

I like to use a threeway swivel with a sinker clip.This makes it easy to swap the sinkers.I use a 5-6 foot piece of 40lb leader and a 3/0 to 5/0 J hook.Be sure to watch your leader for nicks.You want just enough weight to feel bottom with not too much line out.If you get a hit-let the Rock eat the Eeel for a slow 5-7 count.Point the rod at the fish and wait until it pulls the line tight.Then set the hook firmly :thumbup:.Using braid helps alot for this.

Trolling should be good.I'm betting 90% of the Blues are gone from the upper bay - safe to use plastic shads again :clapping2:. Umbrella rigs with 6'' Storms as the lure should do well.

Bottom boumcing a 1/2 to 1 oz bucktail with a 16-20 oz weight on a 3-5 foot drop should do well also.

I would keep a casting rod handy - breakers this time of year in 20 feet or deeper often hold keeper Rock.Trolling 1/8 mile down current is a good way to find bigger Rock.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am trolling Friday and this weekend. The only place I know to get eels is Clyde's in Landsdown on Hollins Ferry Rd.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Warren's baitshop in Glen Burnie 410 768-6977 just got in 1,200 "snakes".:yes:

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Not sure on the price-I have not bought any since last year.I'm guessing $1.50 or so each.Sometimes they give a discount on a dozen (with cash ).

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Fishbones in Pasadena has awesome eels......about a foot long @ $1.75ea or $17doz. I like Fishbones eels, they are usually a little bigger than others i've seen.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts