Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will eels live in a bucket with or without an aerator? Can you use circle hooks when fishing with eels?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
eels are pretty hardy; they can stay in a bucket or baitwell with little or no water overnight in this cool weather.
In fact, don't let them stay in non-aerated water for long as they'll drown; keep a damp rag on them or even on ice.
circle hooks work fine w/eels too. good luck.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
yes, you can use circle hooks, but dont count on them to never deep hook.

I've kept eels in a minnow bucket in basicly just there own slime for several days. Just dont let them freeze outside....put them in you basement.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
If you keep them in a bag on ice on the boat , they will be much easier to handle and put on a hook as the ice really slows down their metabolism . I prefer a smaller hook than you would think , even for larger eels . 3/0 Octopus style .

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I hook them through both lips from the bottom up . I've seen guys tail hook them , hook them through the eyes , etc. Some feel that tail hooking them allows the eel to swim down and get more action but I always hook them in the lips . The only problem I've ever had was bluefish bite offs .

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
If you have an old cooler -that makes a great storage container for Eels.
Lay an old towel in the bottom and wet it with river water.DO NOT use tap water.The chlorine will kill them.Toss in the Eels and then cover with the towel.As long as the Eels gills stay moist-they will be fine :thumbup:.

I hook them from the lower jaw and out the upper jaw.Be careful not to insert hook too far back-if you hit the brain-they die :eek:.

Old way is to go in the mouth and out one eye socket.

Keep a bucket handy when you move to a new area.Lay the Eel in the bucket but do not put slack line in there.Keep plenty of clean dry rags on the boat :D- you'll see why.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
They will last 2-3+ days ON ice. Dont let them get down in the water or they will drown. We keep them in a mesh bag on ice and cover them with a damp rag as well as have a rag seperate the eels from the ice. It is good to dump the mesh bag into the water once or twice a day just to refresh them and eliminate some of the slime too.

We generally hook through the lower jaw and out the top. However I have seen people go in one eye and out the other

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,757 Posts
Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 OfficeFull Time443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide

No aerator or bucket needed....they live forever. No circle hooked needed....set the hook as soon as you feel the fish.

OR

Tight Lines,

Capt. Tom Hughes
Now Booking Summer, Fall, & CBBT Trips

1 - 10 of 10 Posts