Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After too many years of bad paint jobs and crooked stick on numbers I finally figured out a way to easily and fairly accurately mount stick on numbers.

My boat is on a lift, so standing next to it was not an option. Instead it's bending over the washboard and trying to align with my bifocals upside down. Not fun.

I carefully positioned the numbers on a flexible plastic ruler, positioned the ruler on the hull, and then pressed the stickers down one at a time. I then carefully peeled off the ruler and finished the job. Very fast and easy with excellent alignment.

Hers's a pic of a couple of examples stuck on the ruler to give you the idea. I was able to put the MD and 4 numbers on at a time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
........or go into a shop that does vinyl cut stick on signs and have them give you two runs of your numbers........in any color you want. BoatUS use to have a cutter in the main store in Alexandria, Va. but I don't know if they still do. I put down a strip of blue masking tape and work off of that. Looks decent. Your idea is a real improvement on the masking tape scenario. Thanks for postin.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Or you could just order them here:

eBay: 3" Vinyl Lettering Sign Letters Numbers Boat Auto Van (item 290096277120 end time Mar-26-07 20:00:37 PDT)

While the initial shipping is high ($4.95), I ordered 2 sets of boat numbers, and 2 sets of 4" TFL numbers and "MON" in 4" numbers for $16 and change total. Really good deal since the 4" numbers (if you can even find them local) were at least $1 each. I had the numbers in 3 days. Very simple to install as they are in one sheet.

Note: as a disclaimer the only connection I have with this company (or Individual) is the numbers that I bought from them.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured I'd get some good ideas! Thanks.

I needed to add that I'm cheap and don't always plan ahead. Got a set of letters/numbers that did the boat #s, the TFL and the MON for $4. They never seem to hassle me for small number as long as I have them displayed.

Gong to take the extras and re-do the mailbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just remember to clean the area where you want to apply the decals before you put them on. I use alcohol (not Jim Beam, from the medicine cabinet) or fingernail polish remover, but you can use naptha or mineral spirits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts