Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase 2 electra mates. Anyone want to sell some or give me information on which ones to buy. thanks Mike

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have 5 in my garage. For seabass/tiles, I would recommend a Penn 345 GTi (level wind) reel. The electramate for that reel would be TOGGLE SWITCH, with ALLIGATOR CLIPS. If you cut the clips/plug before a year, you void the warranty. Cost for the reel is around $150 and the Electramate will be around $350. I use off-the-shelf 5'6" standup tuna rods with NO Roller guides (cost about $80). Craige (Mary E)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mike....they make push button and toggle. The toggle will WIND IN untill you flip the toggle to the off position. Its pretty simple, right....but then, lets say you bring along a kid or first timer...and they are reeling in....conditions are a little rough...the hook comes out of the water and swings into someone.....the pushbutton type stops as soon as you remove the thumb pressure.....the toggle has to be flipped off.....not as easy when its cold and wearing gloves. I know of accidents that have happened with the toggle type that if they had been using push buttons, proably would not have been as bad. I have three Precision Auto Reels with the push button.....had them about six years....the red push button is on top positioned for the right hand thumb.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mike, we always used the toggle switch type. I think a good point was brought up about safety. It kind of makes it a hard choice in that respect. I do think however that with the type of fishing your looking at doing the toggle type would do just fine. If not better. Reason being is that your looking at cranking the grouper, tile, whatever it may be straight up. Meaning once it gets to the top its over. Those fish are dead once they get to the top so you dont have to worry about the fish taking drag at the end. When we used to tuna fish commercially we used the toggle type. It worked fine with three folks. The captain on the wheel, a person on the switch, and a person on the leader and gaff. It never hurt the reels if we left them on for a few seconds after we gaffed a fish. We just made it a point to turn the reel off as soon as possible. This was tuna fishing. Those things are so strong they would crank up a 40 pound tuna in a matter of minutes. If it was a bigger fish we would get him up and then let him take string out if need be. If you had to constantly keep your finger on the switch, and it was just two of you, I think it would be a pain in the @$$. May just be me though. Anyways...how's the duck hunting been?
Ty

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be catching tiles and groupers with them. I have a lot of 6/0 thought about using them but I like the idea of using smaller reels!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
For the tile fishing I have been doing, about 300 feet of water, a 330 GT with an electramate will work just fine. If you go down to the 320 you'll start to have line capacity and drag problems. A 4/0 Senator will also get the ob done. Basically you'll want something that you can pack at least 300 yards of braid on. Believe it or not, in 300 feet of water, if you don't stay straight up and down, it isn't hard to get 300 yards out and get into your backing pretty fast. With an electramate I don't really care how big or heavy the reel is because I generally leave it in the rod holder anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts