Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is the deal. I have not had the time to do some needed work on the boat. I had a new bilge put in new radio put in two light bulbs replaced and a antennae replaced. All wiring was already in place. I spent 260.00 in parts and the guy charged me a total of 1126.89 for the work. He claimed 13 hours of labor. How bad did I get taken to the cleaners?

Stay away from the big blue building behind the Wa Wa in Cambridge......Locals will know who I am referring to.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If ALL wires were actually there, then yes I would say 13hrs is a WAY over estimate. If he had to do an install on the radio and speakers though, then it's not all that bad. Also, maybe when he replaced the antenna, he stumbled upon deeper problems (cracked/split wires for example).

All in all. I would not have wanted to pay it, and for that reason would have probably done the work myself. I would have asked for a time cost estimate up front, and would have wanted to get a call if anything was changing.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I'm in the wrong business , if that is what some one can charge for a small job like that.

Figure the light bulbs take about 5 minutes each. I've done them in the dark at the ramp in about 1 minute.

Antenna - I've replaced my VHF and my GPS antenna - each took roughly an hour. This includes pulling all new wire.

Radio - even having to cut the hole , no more then 2 hours.

The bilge pump - I've replaced both the bilge and live well pumps - never more then 30 minutes. It is only two wires.

Mind you - I'm a back yard mechanic and do things the right way. Electrical connections are soldered and heat shrinked.

I'm sure some one who does it for a living would be faster.

Can not hurt to go back and ask for a breakdown of the labor - both time and rate. Be interesting to see how he explains 13 hours.

The fishing / boating community is rather small - having a pissed off customer is never good.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Jeezus H Keeeerist!!!!- Stephen Hawking could've done that work in less than 13 hours. He has to be a lazy POS or a f*ing moron. I would file a complaint with someone. Just goes to show- If you ever have to get work done by someone you dont already trust, have them to give you a detailed estimate first! Thanks for the heads up on the A-hole. Sorry for your luck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Two years ago I got my engine pulled due to an exhaust manifold leak. They had to first find the leak, then the exhaust manifolds and risers got replaced, 300 hr service performed and engine was put back in the boat and three oil changes done.
I don't believe I got billed for more than 13 hrs on that whole job!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but I think you got taken to the cleaners! I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but when I had my boat I installed
my radio, including running the power cables to the battery, in about two hours. I had a CC so I clamped on the antenna bracket in
maybe 5 minutes.
I believe the automotive business has some built in waste. Hypothetically there is a time for each job. For example, to replace a given
item on a car would take 1.5 hours. If the mechanic can do it in ten minutes you still get billed for 1.5 hours work. Maybe the same
in the boating business?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have seen this happening alot in a down economy. These guys dont have much work so they charge a premium to pay bills. You got shanked. Sorry. File a complaint as for a complete breakdown for the work, get a parts list, ask the electrician to show you everything he did on your boat. Lessons learned get a quote first.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm wondering why you paid the bill if you feel it was so outrageous. If I buy hamburger at McD and they charge me $10, I would feel compelled to question it before forking over the cash. Not trying to be an ass, but it's easy to get yer back up after 10 folks tell you, yes you did get screwed. I'm guessing you wanted your boat back because you had a trip planned, and it was easier to just pay the bill as presented than to take the folks to task and possibly miss your trip. The time to deal with this was at the time the transaction was concluded. And folks- a fair price for the service is what the market will bear. In this case the market bore the price just fine. Nobody gets overcharged unless they allow it. I find the idea of paying the fee then *****ing about being overcharged on the internet just a little weak. It's not like they were holding your car and you needed it back at any cost to get to work. They gave you a figure, and you paid it. Nothing wrong with a little buyers remorse if you found a better deal after the fact, but to run down a business on the Web after you willingly paid their number is, as I said, a little weak. I do sympathize, and hope that a positive outcome results, even if it is only that you are older and wiser in the future.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have to agree with hackeyfly's point of view. Sounds like you were taken but a lot of the issue is your own doing. Just giving him the boat and tell them to go to town is an open invitation to get screwed. Getting a quote beforehand would have saved a lot of problems. If they would have told you that amount before they started you could have shopped around. Guess you learned a lesson the hard way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts