Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a diehard proponent of charcoal smokers but demand for venison jerky and the limited amount I can produce at one time with my brinkman have me deciding to go with and electric smoker where I can load up multiple racks at once. Any thoughts on which one to go with for those who have used them for a while? I see Bass Pro has a sale this weekend on the Masterbuilt one for $130. Anybody have any experience with this model? Any thoughts on this topic will much appreciated. Don't want to buy one that isn't worth a ****. Capacity and number of racks is a priority....

Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the Masterbuilt and have nothing but good to say about it. I also have a cold smoker unit I use with it when not wanting to use any heat and it works great with it also.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I LOVE my Materbuilt!. I just did some deer hinds in it for 7 hours and it's getting eatin fast by freinds and neighbors. I also did too many to count blufish over the summer and they are great. I'll look up the exact molde I have but if it the same one on sale for $130, I just mught buy another one for the cabin.

TED

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the Brinkman electric model, it's two racks are adequate for my needs.
You could always order an electric element for your current charcoal smoker.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bait and switch

thanks for the replies guys. Well I went out to Bass Pro this morning around 10:30 and the $130 dollar version was long gone. Don't know how many they had in stock originially. WHat I DO know is that the Masterbuilt in the picture from the newspaper flyer was the exact model that they DID have in stock. You guessed it.... $399. I guess the one advertised was significantly smaller and what I need has to be AT LEAST as big as the $399 model. So punted for now. Still ended up dropping $180 on stuff for my wife and son. And the place was PACKED! So much for the terrible economy....

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I like how you put it on the wife and son, droped the cash on them.. wink wink.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
If you can find an old metal cabinet (My first smoker was an old metal refrig) you can very easily build a large capacity smoker using an electric element. I built one for about $100 invested and have the capacity of a typical 50-100 lb commercial size smoker.

You need one electric element, an aftermarket thermostat available from Grainger some adjustable metal shelving racks, some replacement grill grates and if you really want to be fancy some foam board insulation from Lowes.

One suggestion is a 220v 2200 Watt element (Sausagemaker.com) instead of the standard 1500 Watt 120 volt. My 120 V 1500 Watt struggles when it gets too cold.

Chris

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool idea "workin"!! Unfortuanately, I am not the greatest handyman on the planet and DEFINITELY not an electrician. But I may try and do something like that. Would love to have one with multiple racks the size of a refrigerator. Just not really willing to spend the money. Maybe I could build a massive charcoal or gas smoker easier. Hmmmm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kinda on the subject....I have the Brinkman smoker and love it. Just cooked a Turkey with maple wood this Thanksgiving, and it was the first one to go. My qyestion is this......WHere can I get big hunks of Apple wood? Bass Pro has apple shavings and that is all. I can't believe I have to buy some da*n apple wood, but for the life of me I can't find anyone that has an apple tree that will allow me to take some limbs. Any help appreciated.

I did experiment with putting a sliced apple in the water bowl, and that turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Seascritch,

Here are a few pics, it's not real pretty but definitely does the job and it's a whole lot easier than you think.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Talk to any orachard in the fall or spring as that is when they do the pruinging. They have to have the old wood removed or burnt so as to prevent mold spores spreading to the healthy wood as it rots.

TED

1 - 12 of 12 Posts