Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need opinions on electric winches. I have a 25' cobia weight is about 7500 wet. I like to go on the heavy duty side. Thanks

Chad

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Buy the largest Powerwinch out there and use a pulley to double line it.Steep ramps will really strain a winch.Look for one rated around 4,500 lbs single line pull and you should be good.Expect to pay about $450.00.

Be sure to keep the gears well greased and spray the cable with WD-40 now/then.

I use the model #912 but it is not made anymore.I don't know the new #.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know Skip maintains his equipment very well, but I don't always. I have had a lot of trouble with the new powerwinches, now made by some carefree of colorado company. Had an old 912 that wouldn't quit, but the new ones are junk IMHO. Have been through 4 and thank god for the ESP program at boaters world. I now have a Rule model R60 and it blows the powerwinch away. It's 4x quicker and doesn't strain pulling the boat up with just the single pull so far. The wiring is a bit funky but they sell a disconnect kit for $50 bucks or so. Only had it for a few months but I highly recommend it, hope it holds up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking at the Powerwinch RC 30. Get the Gaff that is not the one you had is it? Looks like it has a lot of power. The remote feature is nice for the times you have to splash and pull the boat yourself.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Quoted from another Forum:

The new power winches with remote controls RC23 /30 are junk. I went thru 6 on my Hydrasports 24. Granted it heavy but it's on a roller trailer with all stoltz polys. I did have an older PowerWinch 912 which you can still special prder but it gave up to a burn out the motor. I went to a Rule Winch and it is much faster and works great. The downside is the wiring - it much heavier so I had to rewire the truck from the battery back and the mounting of the remotecontrol box takes an etra pice of galvanized plate but you can make it work. If you take your time you will have a better winch.
-----

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yes Get the Gaff had the RC30 as well as a couple T4000 and a 912.

That quote sounds like Rob Pellicot, I replaced his winches and Get the Gaff's from BW, they are not the only one's who have had trouble, I assure you.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get The Net what is the best Rule winch for my boat like I said I want a beefed up winch so I have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use the Rule T84WR winch on my 26 Hydra Sport. The boat with gear and fuel is very heavy but the winch pulls it fine. It is double lined.

The T84 is not made anymore but the T60R would fit your application well as long as you double line it.

The R stands for reverse - you have a wired remote with an in and out switch. The W is for the wide drum - you might need it if you double line since there is a longer cable on the wide drum.

Rule recommends that you design a catch on the trailer to hold the boat against the bow chocks. They recommend that you relieve the pressure on the cable as you drive to avoid damaging the drum. I connected a chain tightener to the trailer's bow stem and hook it in the safety chain. Pull the boat up tight with the winch, connect the tightener and snug it tight, then relieve the pressure on the drum.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Stay away from the RC23 or RC30 with remotes. Pure junk!!! Call Cape Charles Marine. They told me everything. They repair winches, so they know what lasts. They also sell used winches. Powerwinch 912 or 915 I was told is the best.

Good Fishin

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have been using an RC30 for a few years now, very pleased with mine. I always run by myself so the remote is a welcome addition, beats the hell outta hand cranking the beast.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Get the R60 and double line it as mentioned above. Taking stress of the winch while trailering is a major point I forgot to make, thanks. The two boats I cited as examples are going to be close in weight to yours, both get trailers long hauls and are heavy offshore rigs, a Grady and a Hydra.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you can still get the old Powerwinch 912 brand new. None of the box stores seem to carry it, but if you go to a tackle shop that has a Henry's account (they all do) I'm pretty sure you can still order one?

Ah, heck...just googled it and you can buy all you want...

Powerwinch 912 Trailer Winch-912 Powerwinch

That's what I have used for years and would buy another in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've had an RC60 for 3 yrs now.. slip the boat and tow it out 6-8 times a year.. no problems void leaving the remote on and killing the battery..

I'll be adding Skips maintenance tips to my todo list.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm on the third year with a RC30 with no problems after using it about 50-60 times. My rig weighs about 5000#. Love the remote. :thumbup: George

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rule rules

Billy (get the net) is correct and I have the 24 Hydra. Even the 912 powerwinches, which you can order from Boaters World, do not seem to be the winches of old. I had one and it gave up as well. Not as bad as the RC30 but it did not last too long. Thank God for ESP and Billy at BW. The Rule has been great and I do need to doubleine, it's much faster than the powerwinch the installation takes longer but is worth it in the long run. I have the T60R and did not need the extended drum even with the double line. Plus the price was significantly more for the Extended drum - much more. The good art would be you would have less wraps around the drum which decrease pulling capacity. I did shorten my cable some, not sure I see a difference but I did not need it anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts