Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little 17' Aquasport is turning out to be a great little boat. Surprisingly seaworthy, and a good fishing platform. But due to the above-deck fuel tank, there is very little storage in the center console.

I just had the thought of adding an electronics box to the top of the center console, since it is a short console. This would give some protection to my electronics, and also more protection from the elements when running

What material would you recommend for something like this? Starboard was my first choice, but I don't want to spend $300 for the materials.

The box will be about 32" wide x 12" tall x 12" deep. I've already got the door, hinge and lock. All suggestions are appeciated. Thanks in advance!

-TH

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Hey Tony, Travis (Chilli) made me a box for my boat and I bet it only cost me around $120.00 and we used starboard. If you know a place that cuts and sells it they may have some scraps lying around that’s how I got mine. You know the time is getting close to head for the Promise Land, but I have to tell ya I just might go to OC if they are around it cut’s off 2 hours of driving. Give me a call on day if you get a chance so we can catch up.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
You can also make it out of marine plywood, not Okoume, just 1/2" marine fir. Skip the epoxy and fiberglass, just use marine primer, paint and stainless screws. It will hold up under a top.

Another product that will hold up forever is MDO. You don't need anything but paint because it it pre-treated with resin. They sell it at Johnson Lumber in Millerville. It is used for outdoor signs coated after purchase with paint (only) and will stand up over 25 years outside full-time in the harsh elements. A boat builder I know in Cape Fear NC uses it exclusively for this type of application. If you buy it - - make sure no one sells you HDO. There is a MAJOR difference. This would be my first choice. Jim

The J. F. Johnson Lumber Company - Products

MDO Plywood

MDO Plywood - Boat Design Forums

PLYWOOD AND PANELS
FINISH PLYWOOD
ACX Fir
BCX Pine
AA Marine Fir
Birch or Oak Veneer - 8' & 9'
CONSTRUCTION PLYWOOD
CDX Pine & Fir
OSB Sheathing - 8' & 9'
Dense Glass Gold Sheathing 4x8
Temlock (black insulation board)
See INSULATION for additional
sheathing and accessories.
T&G Pine, Fir & OSB
T&G Advantech
Lauan Underlayment
Fire Treated Hoover
SPECIAL PLYWOOD
Cedar Roughtex
MDO (Medium Density Overlay)
** Treated CA (copper azole)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Theres a place in Glen Burnie.....Metals to Go, that has bins full of scrap stainless, aluminum, steel , plastics, that they sell per pound. The plastics sell for $1 per pound and I have found some nice pieces for various projects. You could also make one from aluminum and then take it somewhere to have the pieces welded together. 1/8"sheet aluminum.....you could probally get all you would need for $30 or less......even if the welder charged $100, your in there for $130.

Bill

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have got an older Wellcraft cc. It is only 19 ft and has a small console. I mounted the electronics on the top of the console. I have Raymarine fishfinder and radio. They are both waterproof so if they get wet during fishing. I take them off the boat when not fishing. Just make sure the stuff is easy to unhook from the bases. I have no problems with people trying to steal stuff because I have no Expensive equipment in sight. It's like a car, if you have nothing in sight to steal nobody will break in unlike the other guy with GPS, ipod etc. on dashboards that people have been stealing from cars.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions!

Jim,
Couldn't find any pricing on those boxes, but the ones I found were $400-500.
MDO is a good idea. I've got an account at Johnsons, and could pick it up tomorrow.

In the past, I've done well with cutting-board material. Very similar to, but cheaper than starboard. If I can find some 32" wide, I'll probably go that way.

Good suggestions, all.

-TH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts