Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TF'ers,

I have been doing a lot of spec fishing in the Elizabeth River lately, however, I can't seem to make it out there before 4:30-5 PM due to work..Overall, during the time I get out there to about sunset I have had a lot of luck trolling in and out of the ditch using jig heads and gulp (fish 16" to 22"). However, once the sun goes down it all goes South and the bite quits. I do see boats still out though which leads me to think they have to be catching something...

My question is what type of fishing is working at night out there?

Now that I remembered my password to TF, yal should be seeing more reports good/bad from me. :cool: I appreciate any tips or good info!

Matt M.
Pudgy Gudgeon

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Expand your fishing area, the hot ditch is too overrated in my opinion, and WAY TOO MANY people to have to fish around. I catch larger fish in the same vicinity per say, but not directly there. Try trolling/casting the shallows when its dark.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2 things I have discovered when night fishing there

1. The fish move up shallower into the flats say 5-7ft of water.
2. The bite doesnt turn on until after its been dark a few hours try starting around 10-11pm....

That has been my experience but that place has many faces just keep trying youll figure it outt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Stop killing elizabeth river trout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this time they a helpless! Please practice catch and release!

·
Registered
80 Posts
EASE up with the killing of the trout thing!!! really?? The commercial quota of 57,000 lbs. was caught this year in about two months time period and is shut down until Sept 1st of 2013!!! This is the first time this quota has even been met in even a twelve month time period in years!! I think people are entitled to a few. They are EVERYWHERE! Most people crying over this are the very ones that have trouble catching them! Yes, that even means you three angler's club glory hounds that were so instrumental in getting the regulations changed! Pitiful! News flash! If you aren't catching them this year, get a personality and make some friends and maybe you too, can catch some decent fish!!! The guys who whack 'em do not fish for paper! That's the truth!

·
Registered
74 Posts
i feel the same Screaming Drag...

One of the guys on the kayak board got blasted too...

Quote from: fshndad on December 03, 2012, 03:45:39 PM
I seriously don't think us recreational guys affect it much.. The commercial guys are the ones that raked up 51,000+ lbs of speckle trout.

You are quite mistaken by how many fish us recreational guys can and do take! Let's do some simple math and I'll be super super conservative!
20 boats per day - taking 20 fish at 2lbs per fish X 30 days of fishing = 24,000 lbs of fish - X Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan = 96,000 lbs of fish!!!
What part of that simple math isn't effecting the Trout Fishery? That's double what the commercial guys took in one month!
Given that most boats take their limit with sometimes 4 guys per boat I think my numbers are way way way too low.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
So simply because the quota was easily captured, everyone is entitled to kill 10 fish a day?

Yes, there are alot of fish in the river, and in places not seen in a long time. Does that mean we need to kill every damn thing that moves? Our present situation with Stripers could very easily turn into Speckled Trout if not carefully monitored.

The reason many people ask you turn a few loose is so when the dead of winter sets in, you will be able to go catch something without having to run to Corrolla or Quimby. Want a few for dinner, take some, no need to kill 10 a person and throw 95 prcent of them in the trashcan or give to the neighbors for them to do it. Between the fact that there are several Superfund sites along the banks of the Southern Branch and the fact they taste like ****, I dont know why anyone would want to eat a fish, crab or mollusk from that section of water.

I see it everytime I fish up there, "charters" and private anglers keeping stringers full of fish, knowing damn well they arent gonna clean, process, and eat the fillets removed from all the fish. Realisticaly, these fish are easy pickings the last few years up there, very little bait, and the only thing that holds them in the area is the fact the water is colder up river and they are basically trapped. Put almost anthing in front of them and they bite - its not uncommon to have 20 to 40 fish a day if you know whats going on up there.

Like I said, keep a few for dinner, just turn a few loose for the next fishing trip.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No reason to drill a limit of specs every time so you can have freezer mush for the next 3 months. take a couple eat them fresh and do the same on your next trip out. never understood the pictures of a crew with 50 specks laid out on the back of the boat.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hear what some of you are saying...especially those who regularly fish the ERiver area and are successful. The same is said about cobia in NC when charter guys put their clients on all those big fish in the spring. Some charter clients only get out there one time and want to take home a limit if possible. There are some big ASSumptions in accusations of folks not cleaning and consuming their fish. Get off your soapbox and work to get the limits changed for those fish if you feel that strongly. And not everyone is catching a limit, though I'm sure there is some abuse that happens as with anything. The numbers quoted earlier are only if everyone on the water is catching and taking home a limit. What I saw in the original post was a few fish on ice, and all of a sudden you're making him and others sound like keeping a limit is a criminal act. The E River is a main tributory for a big variety of fish. Just because you catch them in the bay or ocean doesn't mean they didn't spend a fair amount of time swimming & feeding in that river. I guess that means a lot of the fish coming from this area are gonna taste like ****? Monitor your own set of moral rules on this fishery, fight to get legal changes, report suspected abuse and allow others to enjoy the fishery in their own way. Tight lines...Bill

·
Registered
839 Posts
moral conundrum... I like to eat fresh fish...not crazy about freezing fish...I only take enough to eat I put em on ice...no livewell until i cant catch enough to clean and let a weakfish go... I usually keep 4-6 fish. But will clean and eat a single fish if no mpre keepers are had. You all have nothing to fear I mostly freshwater fish. But the point im trying to get to is to each his own....As long as I am obeying rules laws and regulations dont critisize my keep... As well as i will not complain about yours... as long as the end result is not waste. I have witnessed anglers throw fish in the woods at the ramp because it wasnt enough to eat....its ashame... Hey Tightlines and Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts