Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just looking for some tips on lures and techniques fishing these areas at this time of year.
Been throwing Tony 14 and 3" Storm shads to rocks and piers but have only been able to land 16" and smaller rock.
Not looking for peoples fishing spots, just different ideas and lure tactics.
Does anyone troll the area? Or liveline eels?
Any help would be appreciated!
Lance

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have done well this time of the year on bunker chunks along the channel edges like welches pt. Key is fresh bait none of the frozen stuff. you can also troll the channel edges with divers but alot of times the weeds are a pain. Try hitting different docks at night with lights and jig the bottom. I use to do real well off schaffers before they closed it at night. Not real big fish but alot of alot of 18-25" sometimes you have to work through the little guys to get your keepers other times you don't. also the basin by the chesapeake inn is a good spot in the morning and evening casting underneath that little bridge

·
Registered
143 Posts
ba`s

we fish that same area...
i fish with a guy who only uses white bass assin`s..
he really works the bottom..
use a heavier lead head than you think..
we typically only lighten up when the water depth comes up to 5 or 8 ft
if my fish finder is showing lots of suspended fish , i`ll
throw a rattle trap.. my buddy sticks to the ba
some day`s the rattle trap out does the ba..
do both

i think the tony`s work well in the spring.. when the herring are in

one of these days i`m going to through on the downriggers and troll some

·
Registered
463 Posts
White bass assasins have also been working well for me. Also a white Twister on a red lead head. Charcoal and pearl sassy shads work good in the early evening. Rattletraps always a good standby. Water is very clear now, you don't want to use something that is going to stand out too much. Try a small rapala.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Rattle traps are always good. I have been doing well casting and jigging a blade bait that I make (WHATEVER'S BITEN' LURES
|
). Lure has two hooks and I have been catching several doubles of perch and even perch and rock on the same lure. My friend has been doing equally well on Gottcha's, even had rock trying to take them away from hooked perch.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Fall for me=metal. Any depth over 8-10' I go to vertical jigging with cripple herrings & stingsilvers. If I happen to jig up a 2-3" perch... over the side he goes with a circle hook in his mouth. BA's & shad work as well, but I just don't like em for some reason.

·
Registered
143 Posts
metal

i did forget to mention that i also ....
always have a crippled herring or sting silver setup..
i also will vertical jig when the depth is 10ft or deeper .. its quite the strike when you pull up vertically and a nice rock is on..
i have not tried live lining though.. it makes perfect sense

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lance -- We use to troll big ball sinkers attached to a big Tony in the Channel right off Turkey Point. The fish would school up in 20 feet of water. You will know your in the right spot when the fish finder goes crazy. I haven't tried this method this year, but the way fishing in the NE... I might have to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Went out for a couple of hours this morning and only managed a few perch. The fish I cleaned last week were full of small shad. I looked all over the shore this morning trying to find some that had washed up for a picture, but was only able to come up with one poor little dehydrated fellow. Guess the gulls got all the rest. This one is actually a little smaller than normal, but that could be just from dehydration. Will try to post a picture of it with some lures I've been catching on.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's sweet. What is the bottom one? And where did you get it? I've never seen that before. I too am looking to hook up, big, small doesn't matter. I'm out of the Sass. My fish finder goes nuts but I've only had luck once using a BKD. I'm 1 for 4. I find the fish suspended in 43ft, they're at 20-30ft. The marks aren't big but there are a ton of marks and some of decent size. Now I just need to hook 'em.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bottom one is a blade bait that I make. The blade bait in the picture is only 1/4 oz. but is close in size to the bait fish. I normally use a 3/4 oz to get down when the tide is running. Actually, I made all the lures in the picture. See my web site the link above or at WHATEVER'S BITEN' LURES
|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts