Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me first start by saying I don't get down but on weekends ... even then there are some breaks to where I don't get down at all for a few weeks.
Well ... now don't I regret that! I came down this weekend to a pair of Osprey nesting on top of my boat! The nest if very active to say the least, with 3 eggs and a full time mother sitting on top.
Let me also say that I am a bird lover for the most part. But I'll be damned if I am sitting out the entire summer fishing season because of an "active" Osprey nest! I have already called the DGIF and they told me that I can't touch it or come near it. OK ... so I can't even come down on my dock because it will disturb the nest?? Are you Fn kidding me?
So what to do? Do I sit up the window of my bedroom with my soft air pellet gun? Do I take the boat out anyway and I just happen to hit a big wave or large gust of wind and the nest that I didn't know was there just happens to fly off?
I can't even relocate them myself! Even if I was to build a platform elsewhere on another post they say I can't touch it. It has to be an "authorized federal, state, or local employee!" Give me a break! I love the Ospreys but this is just ridiculous!
To top it off, my NEW neighbor who just moved in a few months ago is in the Coast Guard and is a nosy prick! (Sorry but I am a little disgruntled to say the least!) He sat on his porch while I was investigating the nest and was FILMING me with his cell phone! Like he is the Osprey Police and he is going to report me if I do something wrong. Really??!! So he says "well sorry for your luck there man but you can't touch that nest now she has eggs in it." Seriously a**hole! You are down here full time and you see the nest being built, you couldn't have taken it upon yourself to be the nice neighbor and get rid of the nest as it was being built ... knowing full well that I don't come down but on weekends! Turns out his wife mentioned it to him and he refused.

So my question to everyone is What would you do in my situation? Do you take the chance and pay the fine if you are caught? Or do you do the right thing and forego the entire summer fishing season .... just because of a damn bird nest!?

Thoughts?

Sky Water Plant community Boat Watercraft

Sky Tree Twig Metal Event

Wood Mushroom Terrestrial plant Twig Fungus

Bird Sky Beak Branch Wood

·
Registered
218 Posts
My best advice would be to stop posting what you are thinking about neighbors and what you may or may not do on this forum.

There are many who could view this including DGIF

Have you tried to request that someone form the state come down and relocate the nest? May only lose a week or two then.

Same thing started to happen to me but there were only two sticks on my t-top.

We now keep this from happening by having friends/neighbors keep an eye out for us.

People have strung fishing line across t-top to thwart the efforts of the Osprey. There are also companies that sell mechanical arms that twirl to assist as well as wind driven arms

Assoon as I put a platform out front of my pier the birds have not bothered our boat or dock

I know this may only help for next season

Good Luck

Bill

So let me first start by saying I don't get down but on weekends ... even then there are some breaks to where I don't get down at all for a few weeks.
Well ... now don't I regret that! I came down this weekend to a pair of Osprey nesting on top of my boat! The nest if very active to say the least, with 3 eggs and a full time mother sitting on top.
Let me also say that I am a bird lover for the most part. But I'll be damned if I am sitting out the entire summer fishing season because of an "active" Osprey nest! I have already called the DGIF and they told me that I can't touch it or come near it. OK ... so I can't even come down on my dock because it will disturb the nest?? Are you Fn kidding me?
So what to do? Do I sit up the window of my bedroom with my soft air pellet gun? Do I take the boat out anyway and I just happen to hit a big wave or large gust of wind and the nest that I didn't know was there just happens to fly off?
I can't even relocate them myself! Even if I was to build a platform elsewhere on another post they say I can't touch it. It has to be an "authorized federal, state, or local employee!" Give me a break! I love the Ospreys but this is just ridiculous!
To top it off, my NEW neighbor who just moved in a few months ago is in the Coast Guard and is a nosy prick! (Sorry but I am a little disgruntled to say the least!) He sat on his porch while I was investigating the nest and was FILMING me with his cell phone! Like he is the Osprey Police and he is going to report me if I do something wrong. Really??!! So he says "well sorry for your luck there man but you can't touch that nest now she has eggs in it." Seriously a**hole! You are down here full time and you see the nest being built, you couldn't have taken it upon yourself to be the nice neighbor and get rid of the nest as it was being built ... knowing full well that I don't come down but on weekends! Turns out his wife mentioned it to him and he refused.

So my question to everyone is What would you do in my situation? Do you take the chance and pay the fine if you are caught? Or do you do the right thing and forego the entire summer fishing season .... just because of a damn bird nest!?

Thoughts?

View attachment 162634

View attachment 162642

View attachment 162650

View attachment 162658

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My best advice would be to stop posting what you are thinking about neighbors and what you may or may not do on this forum.

There are many who could view this including DGIF
I am hoping that may happen.
Have you tried to request that someone form the state come down and relocate the nest? May only lose a week or two then.

Yes ... and of course the guy they put me in contact with for my county is "out of the country" ... how convenient!

Same thing started to happen to me but there were only two sticks on my t-top.

We now keep this from happening by having friends/neighbors keep an eye out for us.

This is what I thought the neighbor was going to do to begin with. But instead he sits inside his kitchen watching it all unfold ... "oh well, sucks to be him this fishing season."

People have strung fishing line across t-top to thwart the efforts of the Osprey. There are also companies that sell mechanical arms that twirl to assist as well as wind driven arms

Assoon as I put a platform out front of my pier the birds have not bothered our boat or dock

This is going to be my only resort I think. I wish I knew what drew them to the top of my boat. There are so many other platforms around the house, in the creek ... but NOOOOO ... they have to pick the guy's boat out.

I know this may only help for next season

Good Luck

Bill
It's just very frustrating is all! Doesn't seem like anyone wants to help ... especially the state. "Oh well, you are just SOL this year pal" seems to be the attitude I have received.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So how much is the penalty ? I would find that out and then make your decision.
You could always get someone to hold a piece of plywood up equal to your top and use a stick to slide the whole thing off on to it and then put it on your neighbors front porch. Technically you "didnt touch it " .

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how much is the penalty ? I would find that out and then make your decision.
You could always get someone to hold a piece of plywood up equal to your top and use a stick to slide the whole thing off on to it and then put it on your neighbors front porch. Technically you "didnt touch it " .
I like that idea the best so far! I might look into it :)

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I'm sure the DNR would help you out by moving the nest to a platform very near your site.Let us know the outcome.Don't worry about the guy with the camera,maybe he'll learn something.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You are kind of screwed here. 100% DO NOT TOUCH THAT NEST. VA DGIF Police definitely read this board and you WILL get caught. Sounds like your neighbor would turn you in anyways.

Go here and read this: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/birds/osprey/virginia-osprey-nest-guidelines.pdf

Then pray you can get someone to help.

Kick your neighbor in the nuts. If what you said is true and he ignored it/neglected to at least call you that's a total d move on his part.

Hope it works out for you.

Btw.. I think the fine for killing an Osprey (eggs?) is like up to $30K in civil and criminal fines along with a year in jail.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the DNR calls me back and puts me in touch with the local "guy who takes care of things like this." A call to the guy and sorry "he is out of the country at the moment."
I call back and get another guy. He tells me that for $250 we can come out and "remove" the nest from the site. But "unfortunately the eggs will be destroyed." So let me get this straight ... you are going to DESTROY the eggs? I have to pay YOU for something that I could easily do myself??!! WTH?? Oh because the birds are "Protected" only authorized personnel can "move the nest." Such ****!!
All a money making scheme by the state, the DNR, the DGIF ... everyone!
OH ... and I can apply for the permit so that in the future I can do the destroying on MY OWN! Seriously?? Once a year I can PAY the state to be an "official destroyer of Osprey Nests?"
This boggles the mind!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
So the DNR calls me back and puts me in touch with the local "guy who takes care of things like this." A call to the guy and sorry "he is out of the country at the moment."
I call back and get another guy. He tells me that for $250 we can come out and "remove" the nest from the site. But "unfortunately the eggs will be destroyed." So let me get this straight ... you are going to DESTROY the eggs? I have to pay YOU for something that I could easily do myself??!! WTH?? Oh because the birds are "Protected" only authorized personnel can "move the nest." Such ****!!
All a money making scheme by the state, the DNR, the DGIF ... everyone!
OH ... and I can apply for the permit so that in the future I can do the destroying on MY OWN! Seriously?? Once a year I can PAY the state to be an "official destroyer of Osprey Nests?"
This boggles the mind!!
Might be worth the 250 if you can keep the eggs and throw them at your neighbor.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
there is no deterrent that is effective with Osprey. The ONLY way is to build them a box nest on a pole HIGHER then your boat for next year.

As for this year... I definitely would not go out in the middle of the night and move your boat to a friends house for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW .... does anyone know who I can contact to put a pole in the water off the dock? I guess the company who put in my dock? Just to come out and put a single pole in. But then how do I put the box that I construct for the birds on to the pole? Is there anyone that does this type of thing for a living? I obviously don't have the tools necessary to slam a pole into the sand 6 feet!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
lots of ways to add a nesting box.

You are correct you may need a dock company/pile driver to put one in proper.
or
you could jet in a small tall pole
or
you could bolt a tall 4x4 to an end post on your dock. If you use two bolts, you can take one out-making the other a pivot and swing the 4x4 down to build your box on and then swing it back up and secure with second bolt. I use that method for a large bird house we have.

the box needs to be pretty big but fortunately doesn't have to be pretty. 3'x3' plywood with 2x4 rails if fine. Then just screw it to the top of the pole.

I put mine on a tall pole that is on the outside of the "slip" I used to park my big boat- away from the lift. I tied up my boat to the piling and used a 8' step ladder to install box. It was a little hairy going

1 - 20 of 22 Posts