Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the flats hard yesterday, ran my 15 HP Evinrude at least 3 hours when she bogged down and stalled. I had plenty of fuel, could restart it but she would bog down and stall. Any thoughts as to what could cause this? If it didn't run all day I would think bad fuel. Is it possible that I could burn 1/2 a tank of gas and then hit water or something?

Any thoghts are appreciated.

No fish or hits, but did get towed back to the ramp by a beautiful Hells Bay Flats boat. If you read this thanks again!

John

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
58 Posts
I Had A 9.9 Evinrude That Did The Same Thing .i Tried Verything To Fix It, The Problem Was A Bad Spark Plug That Was Only About Five Hours Old.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had a similar problem in the past with my 90 HP Merc ELPTO. Turned out the fuel was going bad within a month of putting it in the tank and mixing with the older stuff. Since that event and a rebuilt carburator I have always put in fuel stabilizer proportionate to the amount of the fuel refill, sometimes a little more--erring on too much rather than not enough. Since I've started doing so, all my fuel problems have gone away. I just consider the additive as insurance. Don't want to break down again in the main shipping channel within the Chesapeake. Don't think the larger ships could see my Montauk 17. Seeing them bearing down on me was a little unerving. While we would always like to use our boats more; weather, kids, honey do's, and other things get in the way. As result, expanded time between fishing trips could permit the fuel to breat down.

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Replace plugs and rebuild carb I have a 1992 same motor had same problem works great know. any questions give me a call(302-250-1470)
jeff

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem..... water, water clogged filter, carb has h2o, clogged high speed jets in carb.....The angle of the fuel cell could cause the water present to be picked up by the fuel pick-up. Would it re-start,and idle speed to get you back in ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd have to agree with a carb problem. Clean the carbs out and you should be OK. My Evinrude did the same exact thing that you are describing. I now run Sta-Bil in all my boat gas, and every couple of tanks I drop the stuff in that burns all the carbon out of the motor.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Time to rebuild or seriously clean the carb. Symptomatically carbs are all pretty much the same and mine did the same thing on my I/O several years ago. It would idle but as soon as it was under load it died.

The mechanic who took it apart said there was so much water and "gunk" in it, he couldn't believe it actually started, let alone ran. Rebuilt the carb abd added a water separater and no issue sisnce, knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
After reading thru some of the post it could be a variety of things. Start simple and work your way to the more serious.
Had similar issues last year, would start and idle fine as soon as I gave it gas it would bog down. replaced the fuel ball and everything worked fine. the engine was starving from fuel. Would also recommend putting some good fuel in your tank with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Had the same problem down on the flats last time out. Motor ran fine at top speed but stalled out on idle . I had staybil in the tank over the winter but still had problems. I found that I had water in the gas. I now have 6 gallons of gas to use up somehow. Is their any way to siphon the water out of the tank . I hate to dump the gas. I think about half the gas is new this month. Can an additive be used and what. thanks frogman

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
DO NOT USE AN ELETRIC DRILL TO PUMP OUT OF TANK, IT'S FUMES ARE STILL VERY EXPLOSIVE...........Fill a gallon jug with the old fuel, smell to see if it's stale / like shellac, not fresh. Pour into your car / truck tank 1 - 2 gals. at a time, mixed with a full tank, it'll burn better mixed with a volume of fresh fuel. NeXt time you need fuel in car, re-peat, or use in other vehicles. You should see a sludge / water / junk / scale at the bottom of plastic jug, pour only the clear stuff into your car / truck. The junk will stay under the gas in the jug, until you get most of the good stuff.Dispose of junk mixture responsibly, at a oil / fuel waste facility, most county landfills have them, free.
When your tank is empty, check with a penlight to see how much is left in the tank, there will be some, as they never pump completely dry. I use a long wooden dowel rod, or an allthread metal one, wrapped with a shop paper towel, and duct tape to attach it, to get the rest of the water out.
THE LAST STEP WOULD BE TO PUT 1/2- GAL OF NEW FUEL IN THE TANK, then squeeze the bulb of the fuel line to get the remaining old fuel / junk cleared from the fuel line, and bulb.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had the same problem with an 8hp Merc. The plugs were fouling out so we adjusted the mixture but didn’t fix the problem, then rebuilt the carburetor, added new gas, and still didn’t help. Talked to a Merc Mechanic and his first question were... Do you use Quick Silver oil/ Merc oil? I said no. I use what ever 2 cycle oil that is available. He suggested running engine cleaner through the engine and running Quick Silver oil/ Merc oil ( same oil). You wouldn’t believe how much fouling came out. Problem solved. 2 cycle oils have different flash points. Lesson learned.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
fuel or mix issue. Same as it would be in an old car. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Here's a method to clean out tanks. Remember, water sinks to the bottom, so tilt the tank (boat) so that there is a low corner in which the water can pool. The rig show is a basic plastic suction pump. I think Boaters World has them; they are called PAR pumps. This one was from Harbor freight on sale for $2.99.

The bottom of the pump goes to an empty jug to catch the gas/water. The suction hose at the top of the pump can be fitted either with the small plastic (unwieldy and too flexible) hose or fitted with a long copper tube that can be accurately positioned in the corner of the tank. Make a O-ring with a small piece of neoprene tubing to mate the copper to the suction hose.

Position the copper tube into the tank, put the discharge hose into the jug and start pumping. I then pour to good gas off the top back into the tank and safely dispose of the water/gunk/remaining gas in the bottom of the jug.

I'll repeat this post as a general post.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts