Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming (and see) this is a some what common post. However, I'm looking for a best recommendation on the lower cost entry level kayaks.

I remember going to springriver in Eastport a ton of times and getting recommendations on a entry level yak around $1300....That's way too much for my entry level blood...

I'm looking towards the BPS yaks, dicks, sports authority etc.

I've done a lot of canoe paddling and for a long time have waited to get into paddling a kayak in our creek, river, and putzing on the shore lines of the bay and maybe even in the surf or heavy waves ????

I'd like to be able to pull a 7 line spread , 9 including down riggers. What outriggers do you recommend ???

Just kidding....

In all seriousness this is something I definitely want to get into and have had the desire to try it for over 10 years !! Well now with the rise in petro and my ever growing belly too many things are pointing towards Just Do-it Finally !!

So to the group I only lurk through....what are your recommendations.....

I weight approx 200#, would want to be able to have two rods, small cooler, and something that can move at a swifter pace ???

I'd love some recommendations.....

(BTW....I've got mallard canoe and alum. jon boat I'd trade if anyone is interested...both need TLC)

Thanks Guys...[smile]

·
Registered
35 Posts
A lot of kayak dealers have some sort of demo day in the spring and fall. Check your local dealer for there next demo day. The fall demo day they tend to sell off some of there demo fleet at a reduced price. While at the demo try some Sit in kayaks (SIK). A SIK will do ok in creeks and rivers but are more diffacult to launch through heavy surf. Much easier to find used SIK for sale in the paper.

Most kayak fisherman do prefer a sit on top kayak (SOT) and the more popular kayaks start new in the $700 to $1000 range.
A lot of kayak fisherman start with a cheap model then upgrade into a tarpon or prowler and a few other models. IF you start with a SIK or a low end SOT (mainstream $300 - $400) you will more then likely upgrade in a year and spend another $700 - $1000. total cost will end up at $1300 plus.

Bottom line, any kayak can be rigged and fished from.
The longer the kayak, the straighter it will track and faster it will go.
The shorter the kayak, the easier it is to turn.
Don't go cheap on safety items. You may need them to save your life one day.
Don't get caught up a creek with out a paddle buy a good paddle to start with and carry one of your paddles from your canoe as a backup.
SOT for a dryer ride don't ecceed 60% of total weight of kayak.

Look at the Tarpon 140 or the prowler 13'

Robert

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
$1,300 is alot for a entry level.

My Prowler 15 is for sale for $900. I have only used it about 10 times and it has all the bells and whistles. Click on this link to check out the details.

http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP704966386&id=5676

The Prowler 15 is probably one of the best all around fishing kayaks.
Check out this chart.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/kayak_fishing_comparison_chart.html

Send me a bmail if you are interested in my Prowler 15.

Rod

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently bought my father-in-law a used/demo Pungo from Autumn Sky Outfitters in Darlington, MD. It is a sit-in-kayak. I believe it was a 2003 or 2004. With a nice life jacket, anchor system w/ 3lb. anchor, paddle holder etc., it came to about $525. It has some minor scrapes, but over all is in really good condition. I have an older pungo that I fish out of, and I love it. I have never tried the SOT's, so I am no help there. You can check Autumn Sky out on the internet, before you drive to Darlington. Call them to see if they have any demo boats, if that is what you are interested in. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried my neighbors 2 person SOT Saturday afternoon. I took out my son into the creek and with the stiff breeze we had a nice cruise.

I really have to give to you who go striper fishing and more in the kayaks.....it has got to be one heck of a challenge to get one in.

Anyway....I'm now not quite as encouraged about a kayak....I'll give it another shot in a few days maybe...this time with a rod ??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Steve, You really need to get with someone who has a yak rigged out for fishing and generally knows what they're doing to introduce you into this sport. Too bad you're not close enough to these folks Tidewater. But, if you wanta take a road trip, I'm sure we can accomodate you here in VABCH. We've even got a Kayak Tournament (Fly or Conventional) scheduled Oct 8. See www.tkaa.org for details. You could even carry a new yak home with you. It's possible!!!!! Best of luck. MIKE aka Uturn

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Steve, my Prowler15 that I have for sale has 2 flush rod holders in back and a ram rod tube up front. It also rigged with a Humminbird Matrix 17 fish finder (my Tarpon140 is rigged the same way). The only real negative thing about the Prowler 15 is that there is not a lot of leg room if you are taller than 6ft.

I would be more than happy to take you out and you can try out my Prowler. We have been catching some nice Stripers in the Patapsco lately, before the cold front came through.

Here is a pic of a patapsco striper from a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I greatly appreciate the offer but it's way too high for me.....I'm bottom feeing 400-500 level as an extreme max

Thanks though

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I bought a 10ft.sot 'Blast" from dicks this summer $400 w/paddle also received $25 gift certificate back..It weighs 39# Needless to say it's easy to carry.There's not alot of room for fishing gear like 13-14 ftrs.Enough room for 1 rod and a pocket for some fishing gear.I could fit a plastic milk crate on the stern.For keeping fish,a chum bag should work or a stringer.The sot's are much more stable.I tried the sinkers and that's what they are.I use it alot.There's a good pic.on the md's DNR site this week of a sot with a guy holding a brace of nice stripers below the Bay Bridge.When you get to the site,click on Chesapeake Bay report.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go to http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com ...

Look in the forums for used yaks...i got a darn near new tarpon rigged with rod holders and a fishfinder for 500. There are deals out there, one with your name on it i am sure of it. Dont be discouraged by your experience with the 2 seater. Get out and try a yak if you can... once you yak....you never go back![grin]

Chris from ND....

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Also, check out http://www.paddleva.com and look for their used canoes and kayaks page. They have some good deals once in a while. They are not too bad on their retail prices either on the new ones.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
[Q]Linstad originally wrote:
Go to http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com ...

Look in the forums for used yaks...i got a darn near new tarpon rigged with rod holders and a fishfinder for 500. There are deals out there, one with your name on it i am sure of it. Dont be discouraged by your experience with the 2 seater. Get out and try a yak if you can... once you yak....you never go back![grin]

Chris from ND....
[/Q]That sounds like the way to go.i'd like to have a Tarpon also..for all day excursions.How12-14ft. much does a Tarpon weigh?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
[Q]fred zellman originally wrote:
I recently bought my father-in-law a used/demo Pungo from Autumn Sky Outfitters in Darlington, MD. It is a sit-in-kayak. I believe it was a 2003 or 2004. With a nice life jacket, anchor system w/ 3lb. anchor, paddle holder etc., it came to about $525. It has some minor scrapes, but over all is in really good condition. I have an older pungo that I fish out of, and I love it. I have never tried the SOT's, so I am no help there. You can check Autumn Sky out on the internet, before you drive to Darlington. Call them to see if they have any demo boats, if that is what you are interested in. Good luck!
[/Q]I've called AS several times and have driven by.They never seem to be there?I didn't see any Tarpons on display in the window?They must special order them?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
[Q]stevej00 originally wrote:
I tried my neighbors 2 person SOT Saturday afternoon. I took out my son into the creek and with the stiff breeze we had a nice cruise.

I really have to give to you who go striper fishing and more in the kayaks.....it has got to be one heck of a challenge to get one in.

Anyway....I'm now not quite as encouraged about a kayak....I'll give it another shot in a few days maybe...this time with a rod ??
[/Q]There's one thing I don't like about a Kayak...They're very difficult to get into without a beaching them first...Like in deeper water or a pier.They're very tippy.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
[Q]Capt.Nick originally wrote:
There's one thing I don't like about a Kayak...They're very difficult to get into without a beaching them first...Like in deeper water or a pier.They're very tippy.
[/Q]
You are correct in that they are "....very tippy..." or at least they are tippier than my power boat with its 8 foot beam and such. However, I have been on the bay in a Tarpon 120 in 15 to 18 knot winds along with a friend in his Old Town kayak (his is a sit in) and neither of us did not feel threatened. The kayaks handled it fine.

Getting back in the yak in deep water takes some know how. If it's a sit in yak, there is a very definite technique that if you don't know how to do you will stay in the water. SOTs are a bit different, but there's still a way in which to get in. In my estimation, kayaking in a sit in kayak without knowing or having practiced the recovery method could be very dangerous if not life threatening in some instances.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of teh posts guys, I'm keeping up to speed with them and have not closed the book on a kayak at all.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
[Q]Sandtiger originally wrote:
[Q]Capt.Nick originally wrote:
There's one thing I don't like about a Kayak...They're very difficult to get into without a beaching them first...Like in deeper water or a pier.They're very tippy.
[/Q]
You are correct in that they are "....very tippy..." or at least they are tippier than my power boat with its 8 foot beam and such. However, I have been on the bay in a Tarpon 120 in 15 to 18 knot winds along with a friend in his Old Town kayak (his is a sit in) and neither of us did not feel threatened. The kayaks handled it fine.

Getting back in the yak in deep water takes some know how. If it's a sit in yak, there is a very definite technique that if you don't know how to do you will stay in the water. SOTs are a bit different, but there's still a way in which to get in. In my estimation, kayaking in a sit in kayak without knowing or having practiced the recovery method could be very dangerous if not life threatening in some instances.
[/Q] I have a sit 11ft.Loon by olde town Has to be beached to get in.My Mainstream twist 10ftr.is easy.They are a good entry level fishing Kayak IMO 300 lb.cap..They sell them at Sunny's,Costco,West marine.It can be mounted in knee deep water.I use neopreme waders in cool water.i plan on using it a good bit this fall for Bass & pickerel fishing in rivers,lakes & ponds.I also have a 22ft.wa,&16ft.Carolina Skiff for runnning the bay & rivers.It's just alot less hasle to fish from a kayak.Throw it in the back of a truck & throw it in the water.What I need now is a Dolly to haul it back through the woods at a few places that I go.I never thought that I'd like this that much,after detoxing myself from offshore fishing,you can't beat it for going it alone fishing.It's the most practical boat fishing you can do.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Steve,

Were you able to get a hold of that contact I sent to you?? Are you going for it? It's in the price range you were looking for.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.