1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Date:Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:03:29 -0500
Subject:[Stripers_FED] Maryland Trophy Fishery Proposal by SF
To:[email protected]

Stripers Forever - as many of you may know MD has gone far beyond its allotted catch target in the springtime "trophy" fishery. Opinions about this fishery are diverse, to say the least. It is a fact, however, that springtime presents the only opportunity for many Chesapeake Bay anglers to take a large fish. The growing popularity of this seasonal fishery has contributed to the growth of a large and very valuable guiding and tackle business..
MD has looked for ways to continue this fishery without resorting to paying back past excess catches, perhaps by setting a greatly shortened season or by going to a totally catch and release fishery. There is nothing wrong with a catch and release policy if absolutely necessary, but to force the public to release their catch so that a commercial fisherman can catch and sell fish is an absurd public policy.
An accommodation has been reached for the 2007 season, but, at best, it's an uncertain future, and a likely increase in the minimum size limit will concentrate even more pressure on the largest breeders, the very fish that scientists consider to be the most valuable.
Stripers Forever believes that the best way to deal with this popular fishery is to reduce the commercial quota by enough to allow the spring trophy fishery to continue without crippling restrictions. The economic arguments are quite convincing: According to the MD Southwick Study, stripers taken recreationally in MD are worth far more per pound than those harvested commercially. Also, jobs produced by the recreational sector dwarf those of the commercial. Hundreds of thousands of Marylanders and visitors enjoy the recreational fishery versus a very few who benefit from the commercial one.
Stripers Forever's position is that all commercial striped bass fishing should be ended, in MD and everywhere along the coast this popular fish is found. The trophy fish quota transfer would be a step in the right direction.
The board of SF sent a letter to Governor O'Malley, Secretary Griffin, and Director King urging consideration of this suggestion. We've posted a copy of the letter under Recent News on the right side of our website home page www.stripersforever.org.
Please take a moment to read the letter; we encourage you to send a similar message or your own sentiments - by postal or e-mail - to these MD officials. You can find contact information for them at this link http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/Stripers_MD/index also on the home page of our website.
Brad Burns SF

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think stripers should be deemed GAME fish in MD, like many of the other states have done..Will it ever happen? Well you tell me...How strong is the commercial waterman lobby in Annapolis?

It should have been done back when the moritorium was removed....

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent brothers,
I don't know, we went to the local Giant to stock up for the weekend and striper filets were VERY expensive. So expensive I would never buy any at those prices. I much rather spend 3 times as much and catch my own.

·
Registered
849 Posts
we have two short shots at the big fish: spring and fall. that's it.
in new england, they have at them all summer long. i would have no problem at all with a spring "tag" season. i've been told (by a new englander) that most of the commercial harvest up north is ground up for frozen fish sticks. c'mon, at 15 bucks-a-pound for "wild caught" striper at the giant, something is terribly wrong with this picture.

at minimum, the commercial catch should be severly restricted all up and down the coast. at best, stripers should be deemed a gamefish, period.

i don't want to start another commercial vs. recs argument, but this situation is just not right.

just my .02.

b

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
But if the recs were the ones that over caught last year, and recs keep many more fish then coms, wouldn,t it make more sense to ban recs from keeping stripers and allow commercial fishermen to continue keeping fish? seriously, if stripers forever really are the great conservationists that they claim to be, and not just being selfish and greedy by wanting to take the right away from "the people" to buy stripers so they can have more fish for themselves to kill, wouldn,t they support banning recs from keeping fish? the fact is, the majority of the people of this great country are NOT against commercial fishermen catching fish for them. they cast their vote for the coms everytime they buy a striper. and they should never have that right taken away from them by the minority. besides, its idiotic to do anything to increase the stripers population when theres so many fish that really are in trouble.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
But if the recs were the ones that over caught last year, and recs keep many more fish the coms, wouldn,t it make more sense to ban recs from keeping stripers and allow commercial fishermen to continue keeping fish? seriously, if stripers forever really are the great conservationists that they claim to be, and not just being selfish and greedy by wanting to take the right away from "the people" to buy stripers so they can have more fish for themselves to kill, wouldn,t they support banning recs from keeping fish? the fact is, the majority of the people of this great country are NOT against commercial fishermen catching fish for them. they cast their vote for the coms everytime they buy a striper. and they should never have that right taken away from them by the minority. besides, its idiotic to do anything to increase the stripers population when theres so many fish that really are in trouble.
Yes, shut down recreational fishing and declare rockfish a commercial fish...

It's so simple I completely missed it...

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Whats wrong with that idea? its about the poor stripers right? not about a few greedy recs wanting their fishing to be easier
I agree, go for it...

What we need is MORE commercial fishing! It's the only thing standing between us and complete restoration of historic fish stocks!

(Hi Kenny, enjoying your free time?)

·
2,741 Posts
not more commercial fishing, their quota will stay the same, we just eliminate the user group that SLAUGHTERS the most, the recs. recs can still c & r. come on guys!!!! prove its about conservation. stripers forever could ban the recs much easier. the gov would know they are for real if they were actually willing to put themselvse on the chooping block. you have to admit, when a organization that claims to be about conservation decides that the best way to save stripers is by making others stop fishing while they continue, its a weeee bit transparent:D

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
not more commercial fishing, their quota will stay the same, we just eliminate the user group that SLAUGHTERS the most, the recs. recs can still c & r. come on guys!!!! prove its about conservation. stripers forever could ban the recs much easier. the gov would know they are for real if they were actually willing to put themselvse on the chooping block. you have to admit, when a organization that claims to be about conservation decides that the best way to save stripers is by making others stop fishing while they continue, its a weeee bit transparent:D
Well, seeing as how I know the comms would love to do their fair share maybe they'd be open to a full on catch and release deal, eh?

I'm sure they want to save the Bay too...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I support Stripers Forever and making rockfish a gamefish (But I highly doubt it'll ever happen in our lifetimes).

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Commercial fishing should at least be reduced to commercial hook and line in the bay...

I still dont understand the Fisheries 30k limit on Maryland only...... I wanna know what the difference is if you kill the female cow in the summer in MA or in the spring in MD. Once you kill the fish, she is gone no matter where she is in her miigratory run. I find it funny how fisheries can put a limit on the fish caught in Maryland when we have a one fish limit and all other states along the migratory run can keep more. In NJ you can keep 2 fish per person and 3 with a trophy tag... Of course NJ has deemed the striped bass a game fish. However it does stop the accidental commercial killing when a dragger unintentially hits a school of bass. (these fish end up just floating off the coast)

Besides, is the striper poplulation as bad as many as all these studies and articles portray? From what I personally have seen the striper population is fairly strong.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
This may prove my ignorance on how they can accurately measure this so called crisis. How is the rock in such dire straits. I caught more trophy rock last year then ever before we caught our fish everytime out several times seeing 5 out of 8 rods go down as we went over large schools of trophy fish. I practice both catch and release and I keep some for table fair. I fish the tournaments also so call me what you want but I was out on the water atleast 4out of seven days and in the summer almost everyday. Teacher by trade so lots of fishing time. In the fall there were breakers everywhere. How has it become such an issue? I have not seen a decline but a incline from my perspective.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Make them a game fish. Grady White, Shimano, Berkley etc should lobby for the recs. You could look at this debate as a pure left leaning "wacko" and it promote the idea of the gamefish and at the same time look at this as a pure capitalistic opportunity and agree that recs bring in so much more money than the comms. For the consumer in Nebraska that likes fish sticks, well you can dress up farm raised catfish to taste great.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The way I remember it - could be wrong?

During the Moratorium, the commercials went to raising Rockfish in farm ponds. They use to get the Fry from DNR, who was producing the Fry for the stocking program anyway. Once the Moratorium was lifted and they allowed netting again, it became easier and less costly to get them that way. I think the fish farming fizzled out... is there farm raised Rockfish in Maryland anymore?

I say end the commercial removal of Rockfish and give the allotment to the charters and the Recs with a larger minimum size of maybe 24". The Charters and Rec's will have a better catch ratio of a higher quality fish, more fish will reach spawning age and reproduce. The waterman can go back to farm raising Rockfish like in the past.

I never understood how a small group is allowed to take so much of the resource and sell it for personal gain. A farmer buys and plants his own seed, prepares his field, waters, fertilizes and then harvests. Commercial harvest is like a person picking vegetables from a community garden and selling what they picked for money.

I know some will say I am a Rec and that's why I feel this way or I just want more fish for myself. I could care less about taking a fish home. I have kept maybe 6 fish total in the last 3 years. It would be nice to see the large breaking schools of 25"-30"+ fish in September and October like right after the Moratorium.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ray,

I don't think the point would be to take the comm harvest so recs could have more.

They did it in NJ and have looked foolish ever since.

EVERYONE needs to be responsible with the resource and we'll be fine, until there is a culture shift across the coast we'll constantly be on the roller coaster. We have this mentality that they are "our fish" just like NJ, NC, VA etc and if we release them then someone else will just kill them anyway.

Keep in mind, just because its legal doesn't mean its responsible.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
We are talking trophy fish, right? Last year the trophy season size was 36." That is 1" over the legal limit that the commercials are allowed to keep. So, in actuality, the commercials, in the bay are not killing the large fish.

The reason MD has a quota or target for their fishery when other states do not, is because Maryland is allowed to keep fish from 18" up, after the Trophy season is over. The other states are not.

Now, which would be better, a short Spring season whereby you can keep one large fish and a long summer, spring & winter fishery, whereby you can keep two fish over 18" or a year round fishery where you can keep 2 fish over 28?"

The fact is, we do not have many fish over 28" in the bay after the trophy season.

Ele

·
2,741 Posts
The reason MD has a quota or target for their fishery when other states do not, is because Maryland is allowed to keep fish from 18" up, after the Trophy season is over. The other states are not.

Ele
I,ve been reading that alot on the board lately, so I looked it up and found that virginia has a season where they can keep stripers over 18", new york 1 fish per person over 18", north carolina 18" and 3 fish per person. maine slot 20"-26"
http://www.stripersurf.com/fishregs.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts