Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apparently the epa in their great wisdom has found that higher ethanol is ok for cars built from 2001 - 2006 expanding the orginal finding that 2007 & up cars are safe. so according to the paper they have approved 15% ethanol in gas. now we're scewed. by stock in startron asap.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Here we go again taking it in the @ss!! Where in TIDEWATER can we get ETHANOL free fuel? Not the northern area but Hampton Roads?

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I won't get political here but the truth is the truth.

This administration is going to continue to stick it to us.

How ya doing Tony ? ? I was right down the street from you the other day. I did not see your truck or I would have dropped by to say hello.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Errrrr....ummmm....when you say "this administration," I suppose you mean all of the Republican members of congress who pushed EPA to rule on this? Corn ethanol is a stupidness disease that is geographically based, not party based.

Also, the EPA only said that E-15 CAN be used by an expanded list of vehicles. It did not mandate that anyone actually sell this fuel (and if they do sell it, it must be clearly labelled as E-15). How many retailers do you think will actually want to sell it? Outside of Iowa, I doubt very many. And how many will sell exclusively E-15? I'm guessing none. So, the sky has not fallen just yet.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Happy to help.:fishing2: If ya can't troll outdoors in this cold, at least you got a strike indoors.:D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Ethanol is like a bad disease for which there is no cure in sight.

Dennis, sounds like you will be surprised to learn which party wants to stick it up your back end on this one. Don't bend over.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
My Etec and Johnson 2 strokes have no issues with it but my friends with older 4 strokes have major problems. I hate all industry lobbies.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 2002 Yamaha 225 4 stroke and haven't had any problems running on the gas we're running today where are your guys getting gas mine comes from the marina that I'm at. Sounds like a supply problem not today's gas. just sayin'

·
Registered
294 Posts
mercury recommends filling up after each trip to combat ethanol related problems. plus this way you don't have to hunt for or smell like gas on the way to your favorite fishing hole or while you are fishing. ethanol is still degradating to seals and fuel lines. If you have a mercury silver fuel line, the insides are very prone to ethanol damage. cut it back a little each year to check. if bad replace - if not hook right back up.

also, startron sucks. my marine dealer and I have both put it into test tanks. what a waste of money that was. Green marine formula sta-bil is the only one thus far we have tested to have worked on E based fuels.

additionally, my marine dealer said that I probably don't have ethanol related issues because I have two-strokes and I fish a lot. Basically, I go through a lot of gas which is the best thing to do if possible. but the sta-bil and mercurys recommendations on fuel filling afterwards are the get-up.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
I have a 2002 Yamaha 225 4 stroke and haven't had any problems running on the gas we're running today where are your guys getting gas mine comes from the marina that I'm at. Sounds like a supply problem not today's gas. just sayin'
I actually had no problems when we switched over from regular to E-10 with my old Yamaha OX66, but I did get my boat's fuel tank professionally cleaned first. I also made sure to get one of those clear fuel filter bowls so that I could keep an eye on any fuel issues before each trip...sort of got into that habbit, just like my brother does before each flight.

Of course, I realize that E-15 is a totally different issue, but I also understand that we do not currently have enough ethanol supply for very much E-15, even if suppliers and retailers wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
doesn't matter that no ones done it yet. the fact that any co. can is more gov. stick. my recent problem with my e-tecs was spark plugs were fried to the point of almost no electrode. i changed them not too long ago. was it ethanol related? i don't know. i believe ethanol burns hotter than straight gas, hmmmmmm. ethanol effects a lot of stuff not just how your motors are running right now. i feel the gov. page that n2striper put up says it all, bad for everything except cars.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If anyone around here sells E15 just don't use it. Its not good for your motor and if no one buys it that will discourage stations from selling the stuff.
Only real impact from E15 may be higher fuel costs, if they sell E15 for 87 octane we will be stuck with mid-grade 89 octane E10 (more $$) for our fuel.
Fish

1 - 17 of 17 Posts