Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LET'S HEAR IT, YOUR EPIC BATTLE STORY, THE HARDEST FOUGHT FISH YOU HAVE EVER CAUGHT!!!

It doesn't matter what it was, a Spadefish on 6lb test, Red Drum, Shark, Marlin, whatever, let's hear your story.

Information Required:
Year
Bait
Rod, Reel, Line
Species and Battle Information
Pics if Available

Since I started this post, I'll go first.

It was June 2004, Fished 85 miles SE of Rudy Inlet on Kevin's 29' Donzi, crew of Me (Lucian), Jimmy K. & Trey.

We were fishing for YFT, put out the spread and hooked up almost immediately. A little while later, Jimmy pulls out a Spanish Mackeral rigged on a Pink & Purple Islander, I put it out on the Starboard Flat Line, turn around and take a seat with my elbow on the rod. A few minutes later I hear an EXPLOSION behind me and see a BIG BLUE MARLIN passing by with the Islander Spanish in his mouth, FISH ON.

I grab the rod and button down the drag to strike and set the hook, line is screaming off the spool (Penn 70 with 80 lb blue diamond momoi, bent butt). Jimmy and Trey are clearing lines as fast as they can while I hold on, watching the line leave at a frantic pace, the whole time the beast is tail walking all over the place.

I am thinking this battle will be over soon as the fish covered a lot of ground, probably tiring himself out. I was wrong!!!

Kevin starts backing down while I crank line back on the reel, Jimmy straps a belt on me and I continue to crank. Every time we get close the fish takes off, taking more line with him, looping the line through the water. My back is HURTING, time goes on, more jumping, finally the fish sounded DEEP, backing down is not the total answer, I put more pressure on the fish. At an 1 1/2 hours into the fight a bud on another boat (Thanks Joe) pulls to our bow and tosses a bucket harness into the boat. Jimmy & Trey strap me in and it is a LIFE SAVER.

The battle continues for another 2 hours and we finally get the fish to the boat, but he takes off again for one last run deep. After a while I get him back to the leader, the fish came along side, rolled over and died right before my eyes, I was sickened. We had estimated the fish to weigh 350-400lbs., spent 45 minutes pulling him trying to revive him, but it was not meant to be. SAD ENDING.

Joe pulled along side and offloaded a couple of guys to help us load the fish for the ride home, we washed him through the transom door and pulled his bill towards the bow, his tail was through the door and very tall. This fish looked bigger than it did in the water.

We ran to Rudy and weighed the beast, breaking the block and tackle in the process, but we finally managed to get him strung up and he weighed 519 lbs. I had him cleaned and gave away ALL OF THE MEAT, over 400 lbs. of it.

I hope to battle a grander some day, but hope I can get a healthy release.

Here are a few pics of the event:

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
6 1/2 Hours in the chair!

Well I would have to say I have seen 1, 2 and even 3 hour battles but a couple years ago while fishing the Virginia Invitational Billfish Tournament. We put lines in out in the Norfolk Canyon and trolled around for a couple of hours. We had our Normal Blue/White Marlin spread out, but also included a secret weapon "The Producer" in the right long rigger. We were fishing on the 58' Sculley ****'s Fin with Reel Doozy, Choas54, Tim and his son. All of a sudden something comes in and whacks the Producer. Bring it back in I have two already rigged up. Back out quickly it goes and within in minutes WHAAMMMMMMMM! Huge whole in the water and Tim grabs the rod. I am not sure he would do it again though. This fish takes us down to the spool 6 or 7 times (50 International II Speed) and try to get us tangled in a couple dozen Lobster pots. Reel Doozy does an incredible job of staying on top of this fish and not letting it get tangled in the pots. After 4 hours Reel Doozy tries different tactics to get in front of the fish and maybe turn i's head. This fish pulled 58 foot Sculley around for 3 plus miles. We did not know what we had on the other end of the line but knew it was BIG.

Poor Tim is having to eat, drink and pee in the chair. It is also really hot as well. Chaos54 and I are manning each side of the rails with a rag to make sure it did not chaff. We talked about how we would and what we would do when we got it to the side of the boat for 5 hours. Finally after 5 1/2 hours we see the double line and Reel Doozy sees the fish. Looks down at us and Says She is real BIG! So I go in and get the flying Gaff and get a second one ready to go.

We finally get her to the side of the boat and Chaos54 and I look down and see this massive BFT. I have caught and seen BFT in the 100" and this fish was right there and bigger. She was still black back-en so we knew she was going to take a run and had talked to Tim about dropping back on the drag a little when we get the leader in hand. We are not wrapping this leader but walking it up cause it is a 80# white marlin rig. Choas54 walks it up a little, I am ready with the flyer and the fish takes off! POP! breaks us off about 4 foot under the water. DAM!!!

Chaos54 and I turn around and see the drag was pushed to the PIN not Backed Off! $$HHIITTTT! Then we saw Tim just exhausted and cannot say I blame him 6 hours 35 minutes in the chair.

That fish was easily the new state record by a hundred if not two or three hundred pounds. I guess that is why they are still out there swimming, cause they are smart.:bigfish:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It was a dark and stromy night..........ok it didn't start out stormy LOL I was 17 and sitting on Fast Eddies fishing pier in Anna Maria, Fl putting out lines for shark. In order to do this we would use a 12 ft johnboat to run the baits to the channel and 9/0-14/0 reels so our group had already had a few smal blacktips to the pier that were tagged and relesed earlyer that night and we were just waiting for the tide change. As the tide strated to change we drew straws to see who was going to take the next volly of baits out to the edge and i "Won" so down i went with a 9.9 that didn't like to stay running and no nav lights to the darkness . all the drops wen well and i had put mine out a little further out than most just to de diffrent. Were at the second to last bat of 12 of that run and the pier starts yelling to drop his so we heave to and continue with the last whn the continue to yell and gase back to see a tarpon jump .....we give him room but this wasn't what they were yelling about. all the members on the pier start to point twards my corner where my 9/0 is and i watch my 300 lb buddy randy skidding to the corner with my rod. We dump the last bait and get back to find i have 30 yds left and it isn't slowing down. After a quick change of crews and a gaff man and an operator for the broke dick engine we hitch up and get the rod and start to get towed by the monster of the deep to the unknown. This is where i have learned that murphy is an ASS the wind picks up and the sky Blackens with thunder clouds and then everything lights up with an awsome lighning show and driving rains start. The observers from the pier said that the boat got smaller and smaller with every flash of lighning. after 20 min of getting pounded with driving rains and listing ot the rod humming from the electirciity in the air I look at everyone cowerein where ever they can get to try not to be the one hit by lighnig and getting far away from the IDIOT holding a 8 ft lighning rod (ME) i said that i'm tighting the drag and just stick it and we'll sort it out when we get back . 2 min the fish is under the boat with the 12ft leader able to be grabbed. Lee pitches a pier gaff the size of a wreck anchor and goes for a ride when he stickes it. Take two ...... lee sets up and braces this time and puts the steel to her and all hell breaks loose the fish starts beating the bottom of the boat and then the head comes outof the water ........The Hammer of a larger hammerhead is on the side of the boat PISSED i toss the rod aside and get more rope and make a slip knot and lasso the hammer and we start our 3 nm tow to back to the pier................ Now keep in mind that this boat is 12 ft with 3 people on the boat in snotty weather with a large shark tide to the side..... we ARE NOT seaworthy 35 min later we get to the pier and realise what exacly we have done when 4 people on the pier are passed the lines and pull my prize up out of the water all 10 1/2 feet and 362 lbs of her...... Damn it was fun to be young

Capt Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although I don't have a good epic fish story, I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista on it. 18 hours and I'm not sure who is on the ropes......

Bill.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Few years ago I fought a big Thresher shark from 3 in the afternoon until 2 in the morning-11 hrs in the chair.I fish alone alot-one time I wish I had a wire man on board.Had the fish up to the boat 4 times but could not get a clean shot with the harpoon.I figure she was around 5-600 lbs.Big old dirty looking fish-been around a long time.My solid wire broke right at the hook.The Penn 50's drag was shot and the pink Ande line was white from the long battle.Towards the end of the fight I started to hallucinate that seagulls were landing on the rod.I told the fish that one of us was going to die this night-I wasn't sure who.I guess the leader breaking was a blessing-I was so worn out and sore that I didn't have much left in me.I think the fish felt the same.Sometimes a draw is really a win-we both got to see the sunrise. Skip

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Two years ago we had a good battle at the tip of the 21/22 finger. The day had started out slow with little to no action..1 YFT for the mornings efforts. We had worked out to the 30 fa tip and decided to move back to the tip and set out lines where we had caught some the week before. The lines hadn't no sooner hit the water and WFFFB Bird GM is screaming and the spool on the 30 is visable in seconds. I applied more drag because I had no choice. The fish slowed and with approx 4 layers of line on the spool the fight began. We started clearing lines and circling trying to gain back line when one of the other rods gets hammered with a 40lb YFT...so much for gaining line. We boated that fish while I continued to hang on to mine.

We were new to the offshore seen and a 30 was the biggest reel we had and that was spooled with 40lb test if memory serves me right. I held onto the fish with numerous blistering runs for and 1 hour and 15 minutes until my arms were jello. My crew was anxiuos to take over so I let them have at it whil I took the wheel. The rod got passed along several more times before the the BFT came boatside. C-Note hung with us as we had possible fuel issues due to the long battle. Three hours and some odd minutes to boat a 120 lb. (true scale weigh) Bluefin Tuna on 40 lb test!

BTW lesson learned, the spread now consist of several 50's and an 80w.:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
In 1995 My brother and I drove to Cabo with a 9' Sevelor inflatable, 9hp evinrude boat on the roof. After trolling for a week with one Pakula type lure that a Mexican friend sold me so he could get that sting ray out of his foot, we got a huge strike on the 17lb ugly-stick/penn spinning rod, (our only rod in the spread). We battled a 175 lb striped marlin for way too long. Finally it died and I hoisted it aboard our inflatable sport-fisher. I know better now, but at the time I thought that fish would kill us if we got close enough to leader her in. It was a great day and a sad day. We ate marlin tacos and pasta for the next week with all of our local Mexican friends down on the East Cape. Since then we have been lucky enough to release all of our billfish alive, and we now have a boat that is at least as long as the fish we go after. And, that was the first and only fish to be caught on that reel, it died too.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
come on, thats nothing. Here's my story.

Boat: 18 bow rider.
Location Upper Chesapeake
Depth: 8 ft
Rod: Shakespeare ultra light
Line: 4# test
Lure: 3/8oz spoon

While perch fishing of Red Point with the wifie, she turns to me & says that she's snagged. I turn to see the line blistering off of her little Wall-mart reel & I know its go time. I clear the pit of all lines & ready the net for action, cuz we have a big ole somthin-or-other screeming for the deep (15'). 1 hour in & no sign of what was hooked up, the wife's arms are burining from the 2#'s of drag that little reel is pulling, the she is ready to quit. But I quickly school her on the IFGA rules & let her know that nobody else can touch the rod. I also tell her about the all the Mag covers & deals she will land if we get this monster aboard. After some hard rod pumpin (keep it clean boys) 1/2 hour later we see the the bugger for the first time. The ID was positive, the big ole wiskers gave it away, this was one fat cattie. After a succesful leader job by the skilled mate, we mangaged to net this monster at 1 hour & 45 min in & wrestle it aboard. Turns out, it wan't any kind of record, but a 24# fat cat on 4# test is a epic battle any day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
ok, here is my story. back in 92, i fished the v.a. beach sharkers tournament out of rudee inlet. i fished with a fellow member on his boat with several 50ws spooled w/ 80 mono.. we arrived at the hot dog and started chumming.. several other boats were in the area and were catching smaller sharks. lines had to be out by 4.30.. at 4 pm we noticed this huge shadow under us and 1 our 50s were screaming and was not slowing down.. with only about 6 wraps of line left we cleared the other lines and i start fighting it standing with a old shoulder harness. 2 other boats in the tournament hung around and 1 picked up our anchor being that we had to chase after this fish quick. after a hour and a half battle a f 14 tomcat from oceana buzzes us and is hangin around checking out what we are fighting.1 other boat calls us on the radio and asks how are doing and we tell them im not making any ground... he offers to pull his boat up and i can jump on and fight it in his boat using his chair, so i did. i put on a bucket harness and my new friend backs down on this beast...... now we are on 24 ft open transom out boards so we can only back down but so much. another 2 hrs go by and what a dissapointment.!!!!!! i snagged a massive manta ray!!! we got the 15 ft cable up and we all looked down .. this manta ray had a wing span of at least 30 ft across..i caught a lot of flack over it but thats fishing...

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Awesome thread, I went trout fishing in a stream in upstate newyork in late may of 1996 looking for some big browns. We started out at the top of the hole flipping rocks over using a screen to catch the helgramites to use them as bait and after we caught a small a few each we gave them a try. Trout canot say no to these things. The first trout hole was about 50 feet long 15 feet wide and about 18 feet deep toward the bottom of the hole.On the first cast at the top of the hole within seconds of it hitting the water i ended up getting a 15 1/2 fat one and threw her back. Nice native. We ended up fishing the rest of the hole for another fifteen minutes and there wasn't anything going on but wait, i got a bite. So i set the hook and he pulled back pretty hard but never went that far. So i started reeling and pulling and it looked like the fish got itself wrapped up in a tree branch so i might as well bring in the branch and the fish. Well, this was not the case. As the branch got closer the black snake finally let loose and went flying out of the water right at my face with a hook in its mouth. His tail actually smacked my head. I dropped the pole, fell in the water, and the snake went back into the water . Luckily the reel got snagged on a rock on shore. i ended up cutting the line and moving to a new hole.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
This fish tale was from before my time but it explained to me that Dad loved to fish but Mom was the unregistered record holder. My parents married in July 1957 and honeymooned at Montauk Pt Long Island. During there honeymoon they fished frequently from the jetties. Mom hooked a big fish one night and fought it for a long time while other fisherman along the jetty joked and said she was hooked in the rocks or had a shark or skate. She fought it long and hard till she got the fish close enough for Dad to net. It was a 9 lb black sea bass that gave her such a long fight and all the other fisherman's jaw's dropped when they saw the fish. I dont know why but my parents never brought the fish in for official weigh in but I think she would be holding a record for a woman angler to date for a fish that size. All they cared about was that it was a nice fat fish for dinner!:bigfish: I would have liked to have seen that one!!! Martin

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is a short battle that stuck in our heads for a long time. We were fishing out of Ocean City July 4th weekend on a friends 29’ Topaz. We were fishing the poormans looking for a white or a yellowfin bite. This was in the late 70’s early 80’s so I may be off a little on the facts. Our spread was an 80 with a horse 3 50’s and 2 30’s on the flatlines with dinks and witches. W finally worked our way north to a good YF bite and put a nice YF in the boat quick. A few min. later I look back and see a very large Blue One come by the short rigger and charge the flat with his shoulders out of the water. I yell marlin as I set the hook and hand the rod to the man in the chair. The fish launches like a missle at the transom and the whole crew found out why I yelled so loud. I think she was over 700 lb. and really mad. The fish grey hounded for 300 or 400 hundred yards before we could clear the first line, man are they fast. The 30 lb. line could not take the bow in the water and parted. We all stood around looking at each other, no one said much, we cleared all the lines and headed for the barn. It’s still the biggest fish I have ever seen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts