Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wild Bill and I talked on the phone early last week and said when the weather was good at the CBBT we were going to drop everything and head down. We did just that. I had a cold from the week before, but with the conditions were just too good not to make it happen. So along with loading up my tackle I loaded up some tissues and tylanol cold medicine and off I went. Bill I met up in DE on Tuesday afternoon. We made a few stops for a 2007 fishing license and boat registration, some food and drinks and met a small Tidal Fish crew at Sting Rays for dinner.

The conditions were shaping up and we were ready. The next morning we were welcomed at the Kiptopeke Ramp by a setting moon and the hopes of some big fish. The first day we fished the shoal for a while and picked up some decent fish, but then decided to head to the ocean and search for some big blues and striped bass. After a lot of miles we managed to find them and when we did it was epic saltwater fly fishing. SEE THIS LINK for a video with all the fly rod action we had. Be sure to pay attention to the warning in the beginning, it is important to understand before viewing.

Thursday we did not even mess around and headed right out into the ocean. They were not in the same spot as the day before, but it did not take long before we were on them again. We were blessed with breaking huge fish from 8am until 1pm and it was non stop incredible action as you will see from the video.

We got blown out on Friday, but we'll be back soon:D

Tackle:

I was using a deep lake sinking line on a Everglades Tibor reel and Sage 9wt XP rod. I used exclusively my Blanco Grande flies in baitfish and chartreuse. My 40" was taken on chartreuse.

Bill was using a custom tip SA sinking line on a Everglades Tibor reel on a 10wt Sage Xi2 (I think, he can chime in). He used exclusively his Wild Bill Big Fly in all white which also landed his beautiful 39" Striper

What a great time Bill, can not wait for us to get out there and do it again!:D

Brandon

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,295 Posts
That video is awesome ......... and you're right ...... it makes you want to drop everything and go fishing !!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Nice Job!

Thanks Brandon for putting together the video. Amazing you could do that with a small basic digital camera. Brandon has all the knowledge and skills you would expect from our Chief Angler. It was truly an epic two days of fishing for big bruiser blues and stripers with consummate angler.

The fish were top to bottom and you could choose deep streamers or surface flies. Had some fun with a large crease fly. The big boys were fighting over it. Most of the time a healthy blue or striper would follow the hooked fish to the boat. Hard to think of better fly rod action in winter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great video and what a trip! I felt fortunate to get some good days down there this year, but I think I may need to put the boat back in the water!

mark

·
Registered
327 Posts
Brandon,
I couldn't get the video to work. It tried to download then at the end I got an error message. Any idea how to get it?

Nice job with the fish - how far did you have to run to get them?

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blanco Flies -The Blanco Grande

As promised here are some pictures of my Blanco Grande Fly. These particular pictures are of my baitfish color which I use in the bay waters and when the water is a bit cloudy. In the ocean I always use chartreuse which I will take of pics of later and post.

I have used these two colors in my Blanco Grande pattern all over the world for everything from bonefish, tarpon, jacks, tuna and dolphin and really are the only two colors I have needed.

I usually tie it on a 5/0 mustad 34007, but I am going to change that to a stronger hook, have some ideas and will post when I have tested and settle on one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Very nice! Something that I saw in the video is that there were small birds or terns working over big fish. This just goes to show that not all small birds are on small fish. Yes one of the shots there were gannets I believe but it looked like on another there were just terns working.

Same thing happened to use just after Christmas. There was a small flock of working terns that we almost bypassed but the first cast resulted in a 30" fish and he was accompanied to the boat by a bunch of other 30" fish. So even if you are looking for "regular grade" fish, always stop to see whose home.

And do you believe that most of the Va guys are saying the bulk of the fish have not arrived yet?! It's going to be a good winter!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
ST-

There were five, yes five, Omega menhaden boats scooping up everything the week before when Brandon and I were down. The big fish were eating baits about 2" long and most of the birds were little fish birds. I guess the fish have to eat what they can find with the menhaden scoured out of there. It is a crime to see that operation.

The fish did respond to large flies, though. I like that because it takes a wide gap hook to consistently hold big stripers. Brandon posted his fly. It is more handsome than my big white Clouser but both worked equally well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nicely done video, Brandon. That Wild Bill is a big fish magnet. Concerning hooks for a
big Blanco ...Gammie SL12-S (?) Tougher than it looks and weighs less than alternatives.
It is the same as the Trey Combs Big Game hook.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Hi JM-

That is the hook I was using in a 4/0. It has a really wide gap for a 4/0, is light wire but very strong. Where do you buy them? I got some from saltwaterflies.com. I went up to Hamburg to Cabelas this morning with a $100 gift cert and $30 coupon hoping to stock up on those hooks but they did not have them, at least not bigger ones. Had to buy another fly rod instead.

That hook makes casting big flies a breeze, also a med dumbbell eye will turn it over.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like to know myself. Liked that hook you had Bill. Would like to get it in 5/0 or 6/0 if possible..

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Brandon-

I just ordered 100 of the 4/0 from Chris Windrum. Unfortunately he did not list a 5/0--it jumps to 6/0. I ordered a small pack of the 6/0 to see just how big they are. They may be OK for the fish we are after. The 4/0 has a very wide gap and may be big enough, however. Out of all those fish we caught, I only dropped one fish in two days of solid catching.

The Gammy SL12-S is the same as the Trey Combs Big Game hook sold by Spirit River. Knowing that you may be able to find another source.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts