Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am new to the board and to surf fishing and am looking for opinions on rods and reels. I am currently using a 10' pinnacle black metal rod and a pinnacle vb80 reel. I fish the beaches of the florida panhandle and want combo that is as versitle as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
What kind of fishing will you be doing most? will you be throwing lures or bait and what size of each? What are your target species and do you prefer spinning or conventional? Let us know and I am sure you will get some good responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,
mostly I'll will be using bait, 2 to 3 oz. fishing for reds, pompano, and spanish mackerel. Spinning is preferred.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an older 10' St. Croix Ben Doer rod that is rated up to 3 oz. lure weight with a Penn 525mag(conventional). This is the rod I use the most. I use it in the spring and summer for bottom fishing and throwing lures for blues, trout and flounder, in the fall for red drum and in the winter for blues and stripers. 95% of my surf fishing is done in Virginia Beach. I have heavier rods that I use when needed (Breakaway Rainshadow 1418(11'9"), All Star 1509(12'6") and a Tica(12'), but I always carry the 10' st croix. I would recomend a custom Rainshadow 1265(also known as the Spanish Buster). It is rated to throw 3/4-3oz. very far. I do not know what your price range is but that rod is around $290. If I had to replace my St. Croix that is what I would get. I would also recomend a St Croix with similiar action and ratings such as the St. Croix Premier Surf PSRS100M2 10' M pwr. Mod. Fast 2pc 8 - 20lb. line 3/4 - 4oz.lure weight 13.5oz $180.00 , Or the St Croix Avid Surf ASRS100M2 10' M pwr Mod. Fast 2pc 8 - 20lb. line 3/4 - 4oz.lure weight 13.3oz. $240.00. I do not know to much about surf spinning reels but I know a good distance reel is the Diawa pro Emblem or Emcast but the smallest of those is pretty big. A better reel may be one of the Shimano Stradics in the 4000 or 5000 range. I do not know how much you are willing to spend but I can only say that the rods mentioned are worth the money. In a lower price range the Ticas are a very good deal for the price. They did have a problem with the guide rings falling out but I think they may have fixed it now. One did fall out on my Tica that I replaced but if you do get the Tica I would recomend buying some 5 min. epoxy and carfully glueing all the guides to the frames. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
[q] I would recomend a custom Rainshadow 1265(also known as the Spanish Buster). [/q]

You suggest you get one sonner than later. I beleive that blank was discontiuned and is starting to bring a pretty penny if you an find one. I have one leaning up against the wall but that one is mine[smile]

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Spunds like some of the fishing we do here pups cobe and bigger drum.

For rods anything in the 10 ft range that will throw 2-6 oz.

For reels look at the penn mag525 series, Diawa slosh 20 or 30 depending on the size line class you are using (my preference), Avets and Abus that cast sweet but the drag systems need a little tweeking in my opinion.

Go check out you local tackle dealer, see what they have and ask questions. If you have good surf fishing buddies ask them thier opinoins they will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts