Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the long read. Short version is: 5 keepers jigging structure in a ESVA sound.

Still minnows at the ramp, so as other reports indicate, the rivers and sounds should still be holding fish. Few days of cold, but that's not enough to drive fish out and cool the water quickly...need a raw, cold nor'easter or two for that. Still, pretty dang cold, but dress right and it was a relatively comfortable day.

Jigged a triple hookup of shorts at our first stop to confirm the plentiful signs of life (not a lot of significant marks though) on the finder. Slowly picked at rats for an hour or so before the first keeper. Wind and current made the drifts a not-slow 1.8mph, so we heavied up the jigheads and it took some work to go around and set new drifts.

Current died so I moved a little south to some subtle structure. First drift was unfruitful, but bumped to a little deeper and found a motherlode of fish and with the stalled current, we sat on them for a bit. Fish were mixed from 12" to mostly 16"s to a pair of 24" keepers. Not sure if fish were relating to it, but there was a seam of more turbid, brownish water mixing with the unusually clear green water we've seen.

Anyway, lost 'em and poked in a couple other spots but no bites and not much on the finder. Retraced steps back to the ramp to spend the last hour and a half at the first spot. Slow pickings for the first half hour and then drifted over another huge pile of fish. Picked through the rats to box the 4th and 5th keepers (3 fishermen). Lost 'em and couldn't find 'em again, so we were one short of our limit.

No bird action, no feeding frenzies at all yesterday. Pretty, bright day fishing with my dad and brother, fish for the table and freezer...can't complain about closing out my short season with that.

Fishing122015b.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like a great day on the water. Thanks for the report!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts