Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into various repower options for a 2001 Grady 265; would like to get some more info from the ETEC side of the house, does anyone have a recommendation for a local dealer/installer?

Still a ways out from making a decision, but I'd like to hear about some options for comparison shopping on different engines? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 225 ETEC and love it! Bought it last Sept from Don Heath, Sunset Marine in Hampton, who also installed it. It is FANTASTIC!

Jim

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, yeah Id love a pair of new offshore 250 Yami's but even with thier lighter weight Im not convinced I wont have to raise scuppers, waiting on Grady to come back with an answer on that one.

Etec is a viable option in comparison, but nothing is in stone at this point, looking for the best fitting motor at the best price, with even better local service to match.

Need time to run it too.....gotta pull into port more!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
We repowered with a Yamaha 250 but looked very hard at the ETEC.
We got a good deal on an older model Yamaha (still new) and went that way.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. Financially it's probably a wash - maybe the ETEC is a bit cheaper to operate?

Mike Avery - you don't have to mix the oil yourself - the oil is stored in a reservoir and mixes itself - it's amazing technology - HA!
You also don't have to go through regular oil changes - the engine is always lubricated with fresh oil.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im certainly not sold on anything at this point, Im in the EARLY stages of looking at repowering, work permitting and I get some time off to put a few offshore trips in this year will be the real test for what I want to do, my biggest factor for picking a motor is finding one that will require the LEAST amount of modifications and alterations to sub-systems/components; Grady answered my email yesterday about it, theire "official" recommendations for the 2001 265 Express is NOT to repower with four strokes, the 2002 and later motors required a few mod they listed for me, widing the distance between motors, raising the scuppers 1-1/2"s, different steering SeaStar cylinder & connecting rod, fold down splashwell door mods and mounts too. Of all of that, the thing that concerns me most is OEM bolt patterns and scupper changes.

The newer OS series Yamaha's are lighter (than the "F"-series) and according to my mechanic narrower than my OX66 250s; ie not requiring bolt hole mods, and posibly not requiring scupper mods.

But all of these motors at close to 40k for repower; will end up on my "to do" list for a while Im afraid, but seeing how 95% of my boating will be right here in Norfolk area, finding good service is a big factor for me too, hence the question on Etec service/dealers locally.

Sad thing is, I probably couldnt even get enough from trade in/private sale of my current motors to pay for the just the rigging on a new set of engines, that is ALOT of money for motors.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Just wait till Mike has an issue with one of his engines like Lucian or Brett did and we will see how much you love those yammies...But lets not turn this into ANOTHER Yamaha vs. ETEC vs. Mercury thread....

I've read enough on this to know that it really comes down to one thing (providing you have the $$): service and dealer support in your local area (if you don't do the maintenance yourself).

Shame you cant do 4st as Suzuki and Whalens marine come HIGHLY recommended.

H.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deffinently worth considering, just checked the Suzuki website, oddly enough, they have performance report for a Grady 282 with DF250s, same year as my 265, very similar in wieght.

As originally stated, all options are on the table, just seeing whats available and where locally.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Run twin 225 ETECs at work and love them. Compare the cost of warrant required checkups over a three year period it may help with your choice. Big difference $$$. The ETECs aren't as quite as the 4 strokes but nothing like the old OB used to be. Not a big deal at all, as far as torque and response, the ETECs do one heck of a job...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mike,
I will put my E-TECS up to your challange anytime. We have similar size and weight vessels. You just need to bring the rope to be towed ass-backwards.
David
757-288-9149

1 - 20 of 21 Posts