Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are yall’s thoughts on the problem with ethanol and the problems it is causing on boats? Has anyone out there had to deal with this?

Luckily I have not had to deal with this (knock on wood), but I know people that are dealing with it. I am starting to worry. Last thing you need is a boat w/ problems.

The cold air the past few days has had me thinking about what to do about winterizing my boat. I got some Yamaha gas stabilizer, and I hope that helps.

But, I have been buying gas all over town, especially when it was $4.00 bucks / gallon. I would just go to where it was cheap. Then the other day I start hearing about the problems with ethanol. I am not sure if ethanol gas is in there or not. The tank holds 95 gallons and there is a random mix of gases in there.

Any tips?
What do you guys do in the dead of winter?
And what do you hear about the ethanol?

·
Registered
198 Posts
DO NOT MIX Ethanol and non-ethanol fuels--This is the Kiss Of DEATH for engines.Get a fuel tester,make sure you pick a quality supplier of fuel,and test their gas to make sure ethanol is no more than 10%!!!Use quality additives to fight phase separation and additional water absorption(I'm using PRI-G).Keep your tank FULL at home to limit space in the tank for condensate to form.Hope you don't have a fiberglass tank which is disolved by gas-ethanol(I don't know if all fiberglass tanks will,BUT SOME DO).BY ALL MEANS--Get up to speed on ETHANOL fuels--They are a potential menace,but hopefully we're not stuck with them forever.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This isn’t really true. Mixing fuel with ethanol and fuel with no ethanol doesn’t cause problems. The problems arise when you add fuel with ethanol to a tank with:
1. any water
2. scum on the sides that could get dissolved by ethanol
3. really old boats that have fuel lines that get eaten away by ethanol

A water separator solves the majority of the problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Cuhollow, we experienced mutiple engine/fuel problems last season due to water in the gas. Ethanol intensifies the water problem but generally isnt to blame alone. A water separator will in fact help, but beware of "forcing" bad gas through your engine. attempting to run on bad gas (scum, water, etc) can clog your high/low pressure fuel pumps etc. Keep your gas tank full and if you can, drive your boat around the block once or twice a month to alleviate some of the separation. Good luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sehguhll-Culhollow is completely wrong in saying that mixing non-eth and ethanol fuels is OK.Placing MTBE fuels and ethanol fuels in the same tank causes a deadly GEL to form which clogs filters and gooks up the engine.You need only ask any boat dealer who services outboards,they have seen the destruction.If you run your boat alot,you are probably past this problem,but it has wasted more than one out board.OTHER THAN THIS,Culhollow offers good advice,like,make sure the tank is clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts