Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between EVA and Hypalon. I think I have hypalon spelled correctly.:eek2:

·
Registered
504 Posts
EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) foam grips are remarkably light weight and extremely durable. Chip resistant. EVA foam provides a firm, yet comfortable gripping surface.

Hypalon was brought about in rodbuilding back in the 70's. It is softer, less durable, will chip or chunk off the rod if abused.

Inless you are looking for hypalon, most of the grips today will be EVA.

KK

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kevin: The reason for the question is that I was watching a video by Doc Ski and he kept talking about and using Hypalon to build a tuna rod. Thanks for your response.

Regards
Bill

·
Registered
504 Posts
When was the video made. If it was more than 10 years ago, the main grip material was hypalon. Since then, EVA has found a solid niche in the market.

No problem, Bill.

All these questions, we won't have anuthing left to talk about when we get together in January or early February. Have you built your grandkids rods yet?

Looking forward to the get together.

Kevin

·
Registered
526 Posts
we used hypalon in san diego alot because we would put shrink tubing over top, the hypalon that we used instead of letting it stretch back out after putting it on usually you would go ahead and stretch it back out, but we keep it shrunk down till the epoxy dries to make it a "stiffer" grip.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Men: I can't tell when the video was made i.e. no indication of date on the video or package.
Kevin: I have not started the rods for my Grandsons. However, I did buy a kit and I'm trying to put it together for practice and I am learning quickly that I need a work bench that I can pull a chair up to do the work. The old legs get tired easily. Looking forward to meeting you.

Bill

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bill - -

I think it's safe to say it is an older video...maybe 5+ years.

Here's a picture of me and Doc from last month, while I was out in California on business. I spent three evenings hanging out with him learning all I could!

Sean

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sean: What city in Calif does Doc live?-just curious

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts