Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this past weekend i was bow hunting near Easton and got a nice sized what i thought was a spike buck. turned out to be a doe with 6" spikes, nice size doe too. has anyone else ever seen one of these?

·
Registered
785 Posts
never seen one but it could be a

Hermaphrodite - a plant or animal that has both male and female reproductive organs and secondary sexual characteristics.

Did you check to see if it had undescended testicles? Did you look at any other of the reproductive organs to make sure they appeared normal for a doe? Uterus, ovaries, etc.

I am sure it won't affect how it tastes though! :yes:

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Never shot one, but I've seen them before. One was actually a pretty nice 6 point taken in PA. All the ones I've seen were still in velvet. Seen 2 bucks taken that were still in velvet in December too. One had undecended testicles, the other had the twins ripped off:eek2:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yes, several years ago shot what I thought was a doe only to walk up and see a spike. Went to field dress and there was another surprise, female! From what I have read in theses case they never drop their horns and typically have velvet all season. Kinda strange for sure....

·
Registered
447 Posts
YES, several years ago my brother shot a nice six pointer in indiana (still in velvet) and the dnr folks wanted all kinds of samples from it and wanted to know where the entrails were so they could retrieve them. this was on a military refuge in southern indiana.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes , friend of mine kills a spike buck/doe two years ago,heard a 9pt was killed this year in Milford De

1 - 7 of 7 Posts