Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to replace water pump this wekend and two of the bolts that hold down wp housing broke off. If I heli coil do they make them in stainless any advice greatly appreciated. By the way when wife saw me pulling lower unit she asked if I knew what I was doing. I guess it was a good question. 89 Evenrude v4 140hp

Tight Lines

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Drill with a carbide or titanium bit and use and an easy-out or similar tool. Apply some heat to the housing. The aluminum will expand faster than the bolts and they should come out.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Are they broken off flush or is there some bolt left sticking out that you can get a hold of??

as far as easy outs on an outboard. I have never had any sucess with them and don't know anyone that has sucessfully removed a broken outboard bolt with an easy out. If anyone has ever been sucessfull at this, could you share your technique?

we have always drilled the bolt completly out and retapped

I have seen some OMC lower units with the hole drilled completly through the housing and a long bolt & nut used,,looked dumb but it worked

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As of today I have drilled out both bolts but unable to save threads. Do I retap to a larger thread \have very little metal to work with \or put in some sort of heli coil. The thread about drilling all the way through and using a longer bolt and nut did cross my mind but I thought that would be crazy. Thanks for the replies. My fishing fever is ever rising and I need to get this projet complete so I can sleep.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
If you can get the larger thread through the water pump housing and get it to line up on all 4 bolts and the gasket to seal, then yes, go for it,
if not then no,
I have never seen a helicoil used there sucessfully.

You may be able to find a metric size that would tap ok and yet be smaller that the next SAE size.

water pump seal is critical, you don't want any leaks there

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Rich,

I have successfully installed a Heli-Coil in the midsection of a 1996 Evinrude FastStrike 150. The bolt held tight. I wound up getting rid of the motor prior to the following year so I never attempted to remove the bolt. What the results were after I got rid of the motor I do not know but the installation was a "success" for my use.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I'd go for the heli-coil if there's an 1/8-inch or so of material remaining after the coil is installed. Overtightening the bolt may crack the housing if there's not much material remaining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts