Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I filet my fish, I usually put the carcus in a dumpster or the trash if it's to be picked up the next day (Mike won't buy that chipper). But since it's so cold, I decided to put the remains in the field next to the house. I know we have fox, raccoons, possums, crows, and stray cats that would feed off it. Most feed at night so I don't get to see the action, but today, I got to see a nice sight. I had a big red shoulder hawk feeding. Wish I had some nice photo equipment to record the action.
If the weather stays cool and you have an area to put out some fish remains, try leaving one of your fish for the wildlife (the next door neighbor's lawn doesn't quailfy). 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Cool, I did that last winter and was treated to a pair of Bald Eagles and then the cute black birds with the red heads.......Oh those are vultures?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I'll put a carcass in the woods every now and then, mostly stray cats that feed off of it though.

-JB

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Other people too.

I give them to my Fillipina nanny and her friends. They make a fantastic soup! I've also given them to some of my Asian students and their parents. I usually get some good food in return.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i remember one time my freezer broke...it was full of deer meat... told my son to go throw it DEEP in the woods behind the house....we live in a subdivision by the way...needless to say the meat made it about 2 feet in to the woods. i woke up the next moring to count...no lie...52 buzzards in the yard, tree tops, circling, everywhere and they were just on my property.looked like something from the munsters or adam family.... iam kindof the ******* of the neighborhood dont know why?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Last summer I had my son bury the fish carcasses in the garden. I came home the next day to find the roof of my house lined with ten vultures. Something had unearthed the fish and left them exposed. There were two birds feeding on the fish in the garden and the others were waiting their turn.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Everyone seems to want my carps...Asian and Latinos fight over them (into the big cooler or mesh sack they go) and I give as much away as possible. In the garden is great organic fertilizer; the feed plot at work for the wildlife (Circle of Life and all that) or the compost heap mixing w/other organics turning w/the front loader for Baywise gardening. Bring a few home for the wok; release a whole bunch (depending on the body of water of course) as I catch TONS of the damn things and some of 'em are to friggin huge to handle.

Catties are either released or into the cooler for ME. Buzzards and raccoons can go find their own;-)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ida Mae; if we get some of Christy's old panty hose, we can tie them over the end of the chipper and make our own chum logs. 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charlie; your right. Maybe what we need to do is get some of Mike's old panty hose and use them!!!!! I know your not as old as I am, so you probably don't remember "Broadway" Joe Namath wearing panty hose to keep warm while playing football. He made it rather popular back in the late 60's and early 70's. I guess it was the precursser of "Underarmor". 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
yeah marty i remember but i also remember the rumors of "smoking Joe" I understand he started wearing them off the field to.......Not mike though ....hes a manly man:D:Dwhen Christy tells him to be:roflguy::roflguy:just kidding Mike:poke1::poke1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts