Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking to repower my 23wa hydra-sport. started with 250 yam 4 stroke,then suzuki 250,now i'm thinking the evinrude. i really like how they match up against the comp. gas milage is the main reason for repowering and the etec is better then the 4 strokes.(for the most part)plus its a lot less maintenace. plus they offer a 7year wrnty til the 31. any feed back one way or the other is appreciated:thumbup: thanks guys mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
etec 60

etec 60 is great on power, gas, oil (1 gallon in a year). Overall excellent. THe only minor issue were faulty fuel filters which leaked, so I would replace whatever filled comes with the engine. $10 repair. Otherwise good to go!

·
Banned
329 Posts
I did tons of research on the Suzuki, Honda, Optimax, Verado and HPDI's before buying an Etec 225. I replaced a 200 Johnson carb with a 225 and our speed went up about 3-4kts and fuel economy went from 16-17 gallons/hr to 8.5 gallons/hr at 3800 - 4200 rpms. This is pushing a 25ft Parker PH. I could give you step-by-step reasons why we went with Etec - call me if you want this information - Chris 302-228-2870

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
.........i really like how they match up against the comp. gas milage is the main reason for repowering and the etec is better then the 4 strokes.(for the most part)plus its a lot less maintenace............... :thumbup: thanks guys mike
You forgot to count in the weight savings you'll get with the E-Tech also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just went through the same thing. It all came down to two questions for me. #1 How easy is it going to be for me to get service and parts. #2 If the E-tec technology is so great, why aren't the other companies trying to copy it? With all the cost and warranties being about the same I couldn't bring myself to buy anything but a Yamaha 250 Four Stroke. I love the engine. The only downfall is the maintenance. I heard good things about the E-tec, Suzuki, and Mercury Verado so I guess it comes down to question #1. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I heard Yamaha is comming out with something along the same lines as the E-tec. Mimicry is the best flattery(another words if they copy it they must like it). I have only heard good reports so far on them. Martin

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Mike
Do your reasearch carefully.
I am in the Baltimore Md. area, here many of the major dealers refused to sell the Etec's,,I visited one yesterday and asked them why and the manager stated that after examining the "new"technology that was supposed to be in the Etec's ,they did not believe that there was any significant Improvement over the old Ficht technology. Other dealers here have echoe'd the same thing and refered to the etec's as "Ficht the next generation"

the second and most important thing is that in my area there are fewer and fewer factory authorized service locations, a check with the manufacturer's reveals that Evinrude only has 3 factory authorized service locations left in the baltimore metropolitan area vs. 10+ for Suzuki & Yamaha, many of the Suzuki & Yamaha & mercury dealers used to be Evinrude & Johnson authorized dealers & service locations.
if the dealers won't support them there is a reason for this, there is no way I would buy one.
I bought a Suzuki

Bottom line, do your research carefully before you buy.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mike Howard,
I'll chime in on this. There are some great outboards out there and don't think you could go wrong in the choice of Yamaha or E-tec. I had a 225 E-tec and it was absolutely a great engine with incredible performance. Also have heard and seen the great performances of the Yamaha. Did winterize the E-tec and it was VERY easy as it is all automatic. The new (to me) boat that I now have has the OX66 Yamaha's and probably will purchase 2 E-tecs in the next year for her transom.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
What's the difference between an E-Tec and any of the high pressure direct injection 2 strockes, ie.. HPDI, Optimax... didn't E-tec copy those two?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Mike
Do your reasearch carefully.
I am in the Baltimore Md. area, here many of the major dealers refused to sell the Etec's,,I visited one yesterday and asked them why and the manager stated that after examining the "new"technology that was supposed to be in the Etec's ,they did not believe that there was any significant Improvement over the old Ficht technology. Other dealers here have echoe'd the same thing and refered to the etec's as "Ficht the next generation"
Why would this be a bad thing? I did a lot of research on Fichts in the past few months, and ended up buying a boat with 2001 175's. In doing my research, there is a lot of dissention when it comes to Ficht's, and rightfully so. However, there comes a point when people need to look past the name, which at this point is all they are looking at. The long and the short if it is OMC tried to rush an untested product to market and it jumped up and bit them in the ass. They paid for that by going out of business. Toward the end of their time they actually fixed it, got it right, and BRP continued to get it right, but they were still stuck with the "stigma" of the name, hence the change to E-Tec.

Edit-If by chance I get bit by the "Ficht Bug" and blow one or both engines, I plan on replacing them with E-Tec's, even if it means driving up to Barnacle Bill's in NJ to have him maintain them.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
i recently repowered with the OptiMax 90.
after much research i found it to be a better choice due to the servicability, availability of repair parts, # of repair centers that can actually work on them, etc.
annual maintenance on the Opti is a fuel filter, plugs and a belt...that's it.
they advertise "no maintenance for 5 yrs" or something...give me a break.

the Opti performs better than the Rude, too.
when you look at performance comparisons to competetor's engines they always go against the Verado not the Opti.
any 2-stroke should perform better than a 4-stroke due to the general characteristics of the motors.
and Rude makes a big deal about how it "outperforms" the competition. not so.
the Optis have been around longer and have the "bugs" worked out already.

in the upper end of the Bay you see 20 Mercs for each Rude.
that means a great deal to me because most other boaters, who use their boats like we do, came to the same conclusion when making comparisons.

just my 2 cents....good luck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
OPTIs

All the performance guys and bass guys swear by the OPTIs. And I know they get better MPG than the for strokes.
I personnal like the simple old 2- strokes. But then that is what I grew up with and I find the 4-strokes to be lazy on the performance end.
My only regret is that the 2-strokes are not enviromentally responsible.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
reel life,
my Opti is 3-star, "ultra low" emissions rated!
some 4 strokes can not say that!
it does not smoke, stink, burn your eyes or leave a ring on the transom after a long day trolling.
it has variable rate oiling so the ratio goes down to about 300:1 at idle / trolling speeds!
the only time you see 50:1 is at WOT!

when i changed over from a standard 2-stroke to the Opti my range nearly doubled and my oil useage went down by nearly 40%, too.

the Opti's run like 2-strokes but are as clean as 4-strokes.

it is so quite that the 1st day i had it out i thought it had stalled because it was sooo quiet and i only have a 17 footer! but it was still peeing out the side!

AND it is about 150 lbs lighter than a comparable 4-stroke.

see no more regrets!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
gitzit, the reason you see 20 mercs to 1 rude is that merc is built by a company that packages thier motors with boats that are manufactured by "sister" companies. Not because the merc is a superior product. If you built boats and motors would you put acompetitors motor in your showroom. Also, evinrude lost most of its dealers when brp bought the name.

·
Registered
692 Posts
2stk 4stk

Whent from 26 coastal with noisy- smokey 225 Johnsons to 28 gw with 250 yamaha 4stroke. Fuel burn out to hot dog and troll all day old 160g -new 90g.Caught more fish with 4 strokes too.Both motors run great and i dont see how anyone can say the four stroke dont have the power. Mine will throw you to the back of the boat if you are not holding on.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Whent from 26 coastal with noisy- smokey 225 Johnsons to 28 gw with 250 yamaha 4stroke. Fuel burn out to hot dog and troll all day old 160g -new 90g.Caught more fish with 4 strokes too.Both motors run great and i dont see how anyone can say the four stroke dont have the power. Mine will throw you to the back of the boat if you are not holding on.
when i say 2-stroke, for the purposes of this conversation, i mean the hybrid 2-stroke technology, like the Opti's....not your grand-dad's old stink pot.

i'm not saying that your 250 doesn't have power....not saying it isn't more economical.
what i am saying is that the power curve for a 4-stroke is different from a 2-stroke.
the 2-strokes have much better acceleration & hole shot on to plane and better top end than most 4'stks do.

i'm not saying that there aren't good applications for 4-strokes, either, but if you have a small - medium sized boat that you want to run like a scalded cat, keep your emissions & smoke low, keep maintenance cost way down and keep the engine weight down...you can't beat the Opti's.

if you had 2 identical GW 28's, 1with an Opti and 1 with an equal HP 4-stroke, i would put money on the Opti boat to win about every performance catagory. several boating mags have done these test with the same outcome.

generally 250HP is 250HP....but it is all about how you put it to the prop that makes the difference and the 4-strokes use a gearing that does not allow them to perform like a 2stroke, especially an Opti.

slow down, you are right about the packages, it is a great marketing plan to get your product in the hands of the users who spread the good word about their motors.
but there are a large number of boats with Merc's that aren't "sister" companies.
Merc also controls the re-power market where the buyer chooses based on facts not packages.

the choice between Merc & E'rude is like Ford & Chevy but the data about the Opti (hybrid 2-strokes) vs. 4-strokes is fact.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts