Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my mother out fishing last Thursday. We went to the upper Bay and only caught a few fish and none were over 23 inches. Figured it would be my last fishing until this week due to the weekend crowds.

Sunday afternoon I had my family all lined up to go see fireworks on the water. Then found out I had the dates wrong and everyone made different plans, leaving me all alone. I had no interest in fishing and called my friend Matt to see if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said we should go fishing. I pointed out that we were facing heavy boat traffic, low water, slow current, heat and every other condition for poor fishing. Somehow, we decided to go anyway.

We headed out and get near our first shallow water fishing hole and notice no one is in there. For the first 15 years I fished this spot I literally never remember a single other person fishing there. That has changed to the point that there is nearly always someone fishing there now. But as we passed by it (I don't think I have fished there twice this year due to the crowds), I noticed no one was in there. I said we should try it but my expectations were so low I would not even bother trying to set up the perfect drift. Just rolled right on in there and started casting. Nothing for the first few minutes but then wham, I caught a 26 incher. Seconds later, Matt caught this

Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Shorts

We proceeded to catch fish at every stop. Nice fish. We caught about 30 fish between 25 and 30 inches. People were everywhere. Flying by us every minute. No one seemed to care that we were hauling in fish. We were chuckling how crazy it was because it seemed hopeless and yet the bite was on.

Skip talks about tide and wind all the time for getting the boat positioned right when anchoring. It is equally important for shallow fishing. The objective being to get the longest and QUIETEST drift over the targeted water. You may catch fish being noisy but you will NEVER catch the biggest fish there. The big fish ALWAYS come after many minutes of silence.

Pat

Registered
Took my mother out fishing last Thursday. We went to the upper Bay and only caught a few fish and none were over 23 inches. Figured it would be my last fishing until this week due to the weekend crowds.

Sunday afternoon I had my family all lined up to go see fireworks on the water. Then found out I had the dates wrong and everyone made different plans, leaving me all alone. I had no interest in fishing and called my friend Matt to see if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said we should go fishing. I pointed out that we were facing heavy boat traffic, low water, slow current, heat and every other condition for poor fishing. Somehow, we decided to go anyway.

We headed out and get near our first shallow water fishing hole and notice no one is in there. For the first 15 years I fished this spot I literally never remember a single other person fishing there. That has changed to the point that there is nearly always someone fishing there now. But as we passed by it (I don't think I have fished there twice this year due to the crowds), I noticed no one was in there. I said we should try it but my expectations were so low I would not even bother trying to set up the perfect drift. Just rolled right on in there and started casting. Nothing for the first few minutes but then wham, I caught a 26 incher. Seconds later, Matt caught this

View attachment 282052

We proceeded to catch fish at every stop. Nice fish. We caught about 30 fish between 25 and 30 inches. People were everywhere. Flying by us every minute. No one seemed to care that we were hauling in fish. We were chuckling how crazy it was because it seemed hopeless and yet the bite was on.

Skip talks about tide and wind all the time for getting the boat positioned right when anchoring. It is equally important for shallow fishing. The objective being to get the longest and QUIETEST drift over the targeted water. You may catch fish being noisy but you will NEVER catch the biggest fish there. The big fish ALWAYS come after many minutes of silence.

Pat
Pretty fish and pretty lure 馃憤馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put a skirt on your favorite jig head. Then super glue on a Z Man paddletail. You will lose your lure (bottom snags, Cow Nosed Rays, general screwups) before you have to replace the plastic. They are indestructible and can be used jigging from 50 feet to to casting in 2 feet of water. I use them all the time now.

Pat

Registered
Great report. For all the concern about the state of the Striper fishery, it seems that people are doing pretty well with resident/schoolie fish. I haven't been out yet this year. Are the fish mostly concentrated in the northern Bay, like last year, or are folks finding them more spread out? How about young fish? Are folks seeing a lot of 8"-17" inchers?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We caught our share of dinks as well. For me it seems that you are either into the dinks or into the better fish. If dinks, time to move.

I was fishing at a popular shallow water spot in the Chester two weeks ago and I have never seen so many dinks schooled up in shallow water. Marked them by the hundreds for quite a while. Could not get away from them . Thousands of ten inch fish. Came back two hours later and caught some decent fish with not a dink in sight.

Pat

Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
Great report. For all the concern about the state of the Striper fishery, it seems that people are doing pretty well with resident/schoolie fish. I haven't been out yet this year. Are the fish mostly concentrated in the northern Bay, like last year, or are folks finding them more spread out? How about young fish? Are folks seeing a lot of 8"-17" inchers?
We've tagged 23 from 13 to 18 inches this year in different locations.

Registered

View attachment 282052

Pat
Super job!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty fish and pretty lure 馃憤馃徎
O sea D - Here is a better shot of the lures we been using. Various color combos but essentially the same lure. I like wide gap, black nickel hooks only. Sometimes use without the skirt.

I told a girl in my office once that she had OCD. She looked at me and said "CDO - gotta be alphabetical" ;)

Pat
Vertebrate Organism Gesture Terrestrial plant Grass

Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
Do you work for the State fisheries?
I have a friend at NMF who has been tracking Rock for 30 years and we help him collect data. I've been tagging Rock since 1996.

Reactions: pkeating

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mom and Matt and I went out again last night. Very shallow water. Seems like it has been low water every time out for the last few weeks. Not sure how that could be true but I sure would like to see five feet of water on the shorelines again.

We picked away at the fish at multiple spots. Nothing real big but good pullage from hard fighting fish

Water Vertebrate Lake Body of water Sky

Water Shorts Sky Cloud Sleeve

Even caught nice fish in a spot I have never tried before. It was rocky and shallow so we could only use topwaters but the fish were biting.

Cloud Water Sky Shorts Human

At the end of the evening the fish really came alive. We had multiple triple hookups on topwater. Literally a hundred blow ups including so close to the boat that Matt caught one joking around and just dragging his lure around the boat with his rod tip. Caught two on one plug (should have taken a picture - they were about 26 and 22 inches).

Super long, super quiet drifts. Mom is 81 and usually does not fool with the topwater but when things get hot she will go to her Whopper Plopper (you can see in the picture but have to zoom in). Hundreds of casts. She was plum tuckered out.

Beautiful evening. We were barbless and we were all alone.

Pat
Water Cloud Sky Lake Sunlight

Registered
O sea D - Here is a better shot of the lures we been using. Various color combos but essentially the same lure. I like wide gap, black nickel hooks only. Sometimes use without the skirt.

I told a girl in my office once that she had OCD. She looked at me and said "CDO - gotta be alphabetical" ;)

Pat
View attachment 282059
Very nice my fishing buddy for 40 some odd years recently passed he gave me a bunch of heads and skirts that he had made just like those . I don鈥檛 troll much jig and cast mostly . Now I know what I'm going to do with them . Thanks much tight lines

1 - 19 of 19 Posts