Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the misfortune of a couple of unnessary mishaps at the Cape today. The first involved a Sea Pro boat operated by some orientals that crossed my bow from my port side. The operator of the boat was constantly looking back at his trolled lines instead of paying attention to where he was going. When I blew my horn to alert him to the danger involved, he continued to troll across my bow with his lines passing under my boat. His lines picked up all four of my lines and proceeded to practically spool one of my wire line reels. I hope that his prop did not sustain too much damage as the remaining line on my reel was coiled up into a tight coiled spring when it finally broke off. The second instance involved a large cruiser that was sitting stationary in the water, and had been for some time. We trolled wide around him only to find that he had three stretch 25s still in the water that were floating some 40 to 50 yards behind his boat----why he had not reeled them in is way beyond comprehension. Another boat passed between my boat and his picking up all the lines from my boat and all the lines from the cruiser. Once again, a wire line reel got spooled! A loss of approximately $100 in fishing line and lures between these two less than smart boat operators. Why do people not have more consideration and learn proper boat operation?

I lost two of those great G & H Lures MOJOs in the process. That is quite a loss as these Mojos are the best around.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap...its a week-end sums it up I guess...

We had a big cruiser pass us at full speed, had to make a sharp turn into
his wake...its a wonder we didn't tangle everything....

Hope you got some fish....we stayed three hours.....lost one and got one in the box..

·
Registered
276 Posts
it happens to everybody not just you. guys who dont care about anybody else execpt for catching fish. ill be trolling around and somebody all the sudden be coming stright for us. there are some idoits out there. hate to hear that. did you catch any fish?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its always the same story, the more people involved in something the more goof balls you attract. Works with hunting, camping, off roading you name it, they come. Always a hand full that mess it up for the majority. Thats why I don't like fishing in crowds unless I know the people around me. Most of the time I am the guy on the outside. Fishing is just as good anyway!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frankly, after the second mishap, I did not have the where-with-all (patience) to continue fishing--put everything away and headed back to Back River. I had fished off of Fisherman's Island earlier in the day with only Dog Fish for the effort--thought that the Cape would be better, not worse. Seems like that there are just too many inexperienced, boat operators out there---weekend or not! The state ought to mandate the requirement for a boat operators license within a year, not the extended period they now permit.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Or fish away from the Herd. My nerves can't take the crowds of big boats.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Cause anyone who has never operated a boat before can buy one sucks i know... sorry to hear about that but it could have been alot more worse..

·
Registered
631 Posts
and think about this....... you can operate the biggest boat in the marina without a license and long as your not for hire.......

·
Registered
485 Posts
I try to look at things like this, I was new at one time but had the great luck of great teachers. there are some that "cant' be taught". the thing that gets me is the ones that KNOW and FORCE others to just deal with it. Bigger does not give you the right of way. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! BE SAFE OUT THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fishing2:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The state ought to mandate the requirement for a boat operators license within a year, not the extended period they now permit.
Sorry about the incidents. The state isn't requiring a license, just that you pass a class. I took it online in like a half hour. It isn't going to fix stupid.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Had the misfortune of a couple of unnessary mishaps at the Cape today. The first involved a Sea Pro boat operated by some orientals that crossed my bow from my port side. The operator of the boat was constantly looking back at his trolled lines instead of paying attention to where he was going. When I blew my horn to alert him to the danger involved, he continued to troll across my bow with his lines passing under my boat. His lines picked up all four of my lines and proceeded to practically spool one of my wire line reels. I hope that his prop did not sustain too much damage as the remaining line on my reel was coiled up into a tight coiled spring when it finally broke off. The second instance involved a large cruiser that was sitting stationary in the water, and had been for some time. We trolled wide around him only to find that he had three stretch 25s still in the water that were floating some 40 to 50 yards behind his boat----why he had not reeled them in is way beyond comprehension. Another boat passed between my boat and his picking up all the lines from my boat and all the lines from the cruiser. Once again, a wire line reel got spooled! A loss of approximately $100 in fishing line and lures between these two less than smart boat operators. Why do people not have more consideration and learn proper boat operation?

I lost two of those great G & H Lures MOJOs in the process. That is quite a loss as these Mojos are the best around.
Man, I'm glad to hear it wasn't one of us white guys in a Grady this time. :D

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Trolled Cape Henry all day sunday too. Crowed for sure. Understandable!

I trolled slow 1.7- 2.3 dragging 7 lines just staying out of everyones way.

Twice boats pulling a single "planer board" turned in front of me almost ran their board into my bow.
If you are learning how to pull a side board,

Please practice in a less crowded area.

G

·
What can you expect - reasonably nice weather and decent temps - brings out all the INEXPERIENCED boaters. FISHERMEN know what we're doing. Heck, I'd rather go the the ES and stay alone and not catch than deal with the crazies...

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Had a guy troll across my bow left to right on Sunday. He actually got on his radio and gave me a profanity laced threat over the radio. I put it in neutral and let his lines go under and clear, apparently except for 1 which we picked up on one of our lines. We backed down, reeled his stuff to our boat and courteously dropped his lure back in the water for him to reel in. Not only did I have the right of way we were trolling parallel to the beach as most of the fleet does and this guy was one of the few whose got to be different.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts