Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Normally around $25 plus court cost wich is around $75 depending on which court. My advise would be for your friend to get it inspected ASAP, go to court with his pink slip and the excuse that he doesn't towed it that much and hadn't realized it was expired and he took care of it as soon as it was pointed out to him by the officer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch... I didn't think you had to pay court costs for that ticket... I got one some years back at Owls Creek but I don't remember paying court costs. Do you now if that's recent?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got a ticket a couple of years ago and I think it was around $80 with court costs. I was actually dumb enough, that I did not know that that trailers with brakes have to be inspected. Lesson learned the expensive way.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If you have not gotten a ticket for the expired sticker, then you just have to pay the normal fee of $16.00 to have it inspected. If, however, you have gotten written up, the cost is approx. what is stated above. If you launch your rig anywhere in Va. Beach, be aware that their police just LOVE to write tickets for the lack of a sticker or an expired one. They routinely patrol the marina launch site parking lots, writing multiple tickets.

·
Registered
658 Posts
remeber when you take your truck in for its annual inspection. tell the mechanic your boat trailer is down in nc and needs inspected ask him if you have to bring it all the way up for them to inspect. every shop i have built a relationship with with just gives me one to go

·
Registered
416 Posts
I believe it's a simple $35 ticket.
It's actually cheaper to just pay the random ticket then hassle with the sticker - not saying that's the right thing to do.
5 years without a sticker - one ticket. SS Disc Brakes and trailer in excellent condition.

·
Registered
52 Posts
remeber when you take your truck in for its annual inspection. tell the mechanic your boat trailer is down in nc and needs inspected ask him if you have to bring it all the way up for them to inspect. every shop i have built a relationship with with just gives me one to go
+1 I do this and my boat/trailer is 3 miles from where I get my work done. They know I take care of my mess! Hell, when I take my truck in for inspection before I can walk back to the counter the new sticker is on and pulled back to the front.

·
Registered
52 Posts
where do you live? I just had my trailer inspected this morning at Lamb and Robinson in Western Branch, Chesapeake and its $16. Out in 30 minutes. A trailer with brakes is no different than your car.
In the Sussex county area. Not to be exact(dont know if your the popo)lol. Its a country thing I guess, to trust a good customer. I still pay the nominal state fees.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Whatever the fine is, its an additional $86 for court costs in Va Beach. If your trailer needs to be inspected, DO NOT use Virginia Beach public boat ramps as the VBPD patrols those lots every day. I was at Crab Creek the last two days and saw them there both days.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I got one in Va. Beach a few years ago----Crab Creek. The summons said to just mail in the $35.00 fee, no court cost. Might have changed by now considering how all of the localities are trying to maximize their revenue stream----especially for non-Va. Beach residents.

For those that do not get their trailers inspected, better not ever be involved in an accident with the non-inspected trailer attached to your vehicle-----and have a good personal liability lawyer on retainer if you are.

Those that simply buy their sticker from their local mechanic--if the State Police find out about it, the shop will lose the right to provide state inspections for any and all vehicles for 90 days for the first offensive and a year for the second offensive.

·
Registered
658 Posts
ever had an inspection done on a trailer and actually have them check to see if the brakes actually work ????
never ever ..... or how about you drop the trailer off on way to work pick it up later with new sticker how did they check anything? its all based on them knowing you and your vehicles

·
Registered
69 Posts
One more reason North Carolina is soooo much more friendly than Va Beach. Va Beach is ONLY interested in collection of monies not your/my safe operation of a motor vehicle or trailer. Lets go back to dredging issues as they are much more debateable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.