Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok; so how many of you saw the vendor (Charlie White) who had two and three rod rodholders that he makes for sale. The discription was: "Made of anodized aluminum with stainless steel bolts. Tubes have vinyl liners and may be turned in any direction."
The three rod holder sold for $139. I really liked the idea that you could move them and then lock them down in whatever position you wanted. Was anyone else impressed? Did you see a flaw in the design? What did you think? How about a little feedback? 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Marty - I saw them and spoke with him. I'm too much of a newbie to know whether they might work or not. I do have one question though; even though you position each tube and lock it down, what holds the "holder" in place once you place it in the boat's rod holder?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike Rose; The old guy doesn't have a website. His brochure has a cell phone # 443-359-1393. His name is Charlie White and he can ship them to you. His address is 36926 Horsey Church Rd. Delmar, DE. 19940. His card says he makes Cutting Boards and Dual Rod Holders (also three rod holders). Machine Shop Work/Aluminum Welding
Call him and he can explain them to you. The three rod holder is $139 and the two rod holder is $20 less. I was impressed with the concept and I'm seriously considering a pair.

Don Richitt; the notched tube that slides into your existing gunnel rodholder stays there simply by leverage and the tension from your rod (if I understood your question correctly)

5th (Marty)

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Mike Rose; The old guy doesn't have a website. His brochure has a cell phone # 443-359-1393. His name is Charlie White and he can ship them to you. His address is 36926 Horsey Church Rd. Delmar, DE. 19940. His card says he makes Cutting Boards and Dual Rod Holders (also three rod holders). Machine Shop Work/Aluminum Welding
Call him and he can explain them to you. The three rod holder is $139 and the two rod holder is $20 less. I was impressed with the concept and I'm seriously considering a pair.

Don Richitt; the notched tube that slides into your existing gunnel rodholder stays there simply by leverage and the tension from your rod (if I understood your question correctly)

5th (Marty)
I remember him now . We had some of his stuff at Gander Mountain when I worked there . Thanks . He lives 15 minutes away from me .:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
If he lives 15 minutes from you; check out those three rod holders and get back to me with your opinion. 5th(Marty)
I've seen them already . I just got off the phone with him and he remembers when we tried to get his product in Gander . They wanted to make him jump through too many hoops so he said no . Very cool products and very well made . I'm going to head up there later this week when I kick this bad cold . I'll take some pics and post when I do .

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael Rose; thanks for your input. Take some pictures for us. See if he would be willing to do something like free shipping for TF members. Maybe we can get him a large order. I should have bought them during the show!!!! Marty

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Michael Rose; thanks for your input. Take some pictures for us. See if he would be willing to do something like free shipping for TF members. Maybe we can get him a large order. I should have bought them during the show!!!! Marty
I'll see what I can do . He's very old school . Has no clue about the internet . When I explained to him that he was getting some positive feedback via Tidalfish , he did seem a little bit excited .

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Once you got them adjusted exactly how you want them - might be worth getting them welded so a big fish can not "adjust" them for you.

Most of the adjustable type holders can loosen - would suck loosing a rod/reel overboard.

FYI: Smart to put a safety line on the holder itself.An excited angler could pull everything out of the holder :eek2:.Really suck loosing the holder plus 1-2 rod/reel combos.

·
Registered
616 Posts
FYI: Smart to put a safety line on the holder itself.An excited angler could pull everything out of the holder :eek2:.Really suck loosing the holder plus 1-2 rod/reel combos.
I second and third that one...

it doesn't take much in the heat of battle to send one over...outrodders too I hear...:eek:

I like safety lines for any rod that isn't in a standard rod holder--I made a bunch last year out of nylon webbing and carabiner clips---couldn't believe my wife let me near her sewing machine but I managed to not kill myself with it.

Hans

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I had these custom made for cheap from some guy in texas. I added the peice of angle for support because with the leverage of the rod plus a fish fighting it wanted to flex a bit which I didn't like. I have poor aluminum welding skills but with the extra peice of angle it is strong.

I especially like these for planner lines. I'll put these in the last rod holders on either side of the tee top adding an additional 4 rods creating a "rainbow" effect on the rods up top. Another way I like them is far forward on the boat for one heavy deep line straight out then the other two holders are used for the planer boards. They are great to have especially for fishing other peoples boats. I'm not sure if these are anything like what you guys saw at the show but I thought i'd give you all other possibilities.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Polkster; the only similar thing is that both hold three rods. These can be adjusted so one rod is horizontal to the water, one is situated as "Normal" for your gunnel rod holder, and the third can be any angle inbetween.

Skip; looks like they may not be able to weld them into whatever FINAL position you desire because there is a nylon (bushing?) which allows the holder to spin into different adjustments. Looks like they bolt (lockdown) tightly and wouldn't slip. Absolutly agree with "tethering" the holder to the boat. One of my buddies lost one of my "BlueWater outrodders" that I run my dipsey divers on that way. Guess I do always learn the hard way !!!!!

These are all good concerns. Just the type of feedback I was looking for. I can't wait for Michael Rose to post a picture so you guys can see what they look like and can give more feedback. Maybe Mike can do one of his famous video clips of how it works and what type of adjustments can be made. 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spynet000; those look very interesting. Looks like they would be better then the "Kite" rodholders.
Someone else on the board had a coustom set made and they were visable in one of his "fish" pictures. I and several others noted them at the time; but I can't find his post at this time. Anyone else remember that post? 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Marty I have a feeling that was my post. This is TFer Chris (ChrisBowers) and those are the riggers in use before I added the peice of angle to them. I use the outward rod rigger for a deep line then the other two for planers. Sometimes I put it up in the tee top and run a dummy instead.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts