Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mother fu#@er - I hate Simrad people.

I waited 3 years to buy the newest side scan unit after they first where coming out. Gave it time to work out kinks and price to drop a little. Got the unit in April and have discovered a lot of interesting things to dive - so many , in fact I'm planning many dives starting in May.

Thought the side scan had to be latest and greatest - but Noooooooooooooo.

Leave it to Simrad to bring out 3D - damn this thing looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just like computers, cell phones, etc, etc, etc - - always something better next year.
It's "only" another $999.00 to upgrade, right? :D
Simrad picked that price so the definition of B.O.A.T. would still hold true = "Break out another thousand" !!

Ralph M.
Wish-A-Fish Annapolis
SRRKC

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back ordered until mid February - not that I looked into it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Man I may have to do a complete retrofit with the 16" touchscreen and new 4G radar and then we can easily connect our Simard autopilot... Hmm May be time to say bye bye to the old Raymarine C120

·
Registered
200 Posts
Count your blessings!!!!! POS Lowrance only last 12 to 18 months lol. Not quite that bad but not far from it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It would have been nice to see at least a few fish, or something for a reference point, not just a bunch of bait. That said,( I want one!! I want one!!)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Skip - I am an Engineer in the Electronics Industry and the only way our company survives is by coming out with the next best thing. Innovate or die. This latest innovation from Simrad looks really cool. It should be interesting to see independent evaluations of this new technology. Lenny Rudow has this hit your To Do List yet?

TRC - I have Lowrance MFDs, Sonar with Sidescan, and Radar on my boat for the past 5 years without any significant issues. Sorry to hear that you are not seeing the same reliability. I have no connections with Lowrance but I have been using their products for over 20 years and I am still a customer. I am hoping that they may migrate the Simrad 3D capability to the Lowrance Product Line and offer me an upgrade. It looks like a great capability to have at your helm station.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It would have been nice to see at least a few fish, or something for a reference point, not just a bunch of bait. That said,( I want one!! I want one!!)
I agree the video was awesome with the exception of not one single fish being marked only lots of "bait".

v/r
"HARDROCKS"
Rocky
USCG CWO4 "Ret"

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I'm sticking with my knotted rope with a weight. Drop it over, count the knots. No electrical hook ups, no salty screen, no glare etc.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Companys know a lot of people are psychologically convinced and programmed to believe that they will buy these toys to keep up with the Davy Jones's. You will be "The Man" at the dock. You'll catch more fish.You are smarter and more high tech than the rest of the crowd.But Man..it hurts like hell when that little ole man pulls up in a 14ft. skiff with an old 1950s Johnson clamped on the stern and has more and bigger fish with an ole Lowrance Flasher or a $99 Humminbird.. I see it happen every year.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Companys know a lot of people are psychologically convinced and programmed to believe that they will buy these toys to keep up with the Davy Jones's. You will be "The Man" at the dock. You'll catch more fish.You are smarter and more high tech than the rest of the crowd.But Man..it hurts like hell when that little ole man pulls up in a 14ft. skiff with an old 1950s Johnson clamped on the stern and has more and bigger fish with an ole Lowrance Flasher or a $99 Humminbird.. I see it happen every year.
Nick, That was the way ole Capt George was on the Stormy Petrol. He caught without all the electronics. He would line up landmarks. He didn't like the lying machine!! .... Gary

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I did not scuba dive in the bay - I doubt I would give the 3D a thought.

Being able to have a rough idea what I'm diving on in low visibility is a huge advantage. The regular side scan was a huge leap compared to my Furuno. A big lump suddenly was shown clearly as a small wreck.

It would help with fishing - just picture scanning for Black Drum off Stone Rock with something like this.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Nick, That was the way ole Capt George was on the Stormy Petrol. He caught without all the electronics. He would line up landmarks. He didn't like the lying machine!! .... Gary
I know. I used to fish just about every week with Capt.Charlie Thomas on the 4 Sisters from Seneca Creek during the 90s. and that's all he had. You're screwed in the fog though. I can see where it would be an advantage for diving.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Keep spending money for the equipment that tells you were the fish are. What fun is that? LOL Hell, that's part of the problem why the fish keep disappearing, LMAO. Restrict to 4 rods and no fish finder, LOL. See how that works out for catching your limit.

Still using my Garmin 160 for depth only, damn thing hasn't shown any fish when I do catch one. But shows fish all the time, but never catch any when it does that. Had to turn the sound off because it annoyed me, SMH.

One day I'll pony up the bucks to buy something that tells me the truth on what's under my boat, LOL. Going to be a while though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts