Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this enough motor for a 26 foot walkaround?Boat would be used mostly on the lower chesapeake.I've seen this size outboard on smaller boats so it makes me wonder.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
You might want to b-mail board member B-faithful. He has a 27' Judge with a Honda 225.

-JB

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a seaswirl which i believe is fairly heavy and holds 160 gallons of fuel. i have a 21 foot seaswirl WA and it does fine with a 2 stroke 175 but it only holds 68 gallons and it usually has only two of us fishing on it.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I run a 26'4" hull with a single 225. However the hull shape and weight have a lot to do with performance. The Judge has a shallow tranom deadrise which allows for great performance by a single on a hull of this size. On a dead calme day With full fuel, all my fishing gear and 3 grown men, I hit nearly 39mph at WOT on friday night. on flat water I cruise at 4400 running 29-30mph, 27-28mph at 4200rpms or 25-26mph at 4000 rpms. I am swinging a 15.25"x15" 4 blade stainless steel prop through a 1.86:1 gear ratio. I am not sure how deep the v is on the seaswirl or its loaded weight to offer you advice. I will say that heavy 25 Parkers come with single F225's all the time. Being that you are a big bay near shore fisherman like myself, it probably isnt as important to run as fast as possible to the fishing grounds as you generally are probably running less than 20-30miles to your fishing location anyhow.

As I mentioned my performance is helped by the hull shape.

here is a shot of my shallow transom deadrise:

But I have a sharper entry to do the work in a chop

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a F225 on a Parker 25' Walk Around. This boat has a mod V and I have seen 39mph WOT. Like other have said it depends on the type of hull.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
enough motor

f225--
sounds like you're in the ballpark for size(but by no means is 225 overkill) and all the other reply's are right on. You never can be 100% sure until the motor is on the transom and you are under way !
Prop selection can be very important.Experiment to find the one that performs best for your hull.
Oh, and one other thing--why a Yamaha !
Honda's forever !!
just sayin !
Wen
Ps,
I put a Lorance network and fuel flow system on mine this summer and although I have had a lot of bugs,you will know exactly how the motor is performing this way !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts