Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I ordered a trailer in mid Feb, from a Venture Factory Reb to be delivered by 3/23. No problem I'm told. I called 2 weeks ago, and he told me it's to come off the assembly line 3/15, but he would call on 3/12 with an update. No call Monday, I call Tues, Thurs, Friday, and now yesterday and left messages. Nocall back yet I am stuck with still needing a trailer by Friday.

Yesterday, I made some calls to formulate a backup plan. Dave's Trailer in Glen Burnie will take 1 1/2 weeks, and Boaters World on the Eastern Shore has one but it is a left over '05 and they are asking full price. Should I expect to pay full price for a trailer that is 2 years old? Would I be out of line to offer 20% less?

Next Question is, I ordered a Bunk Trailer, and the one at BW is a Roller. The main reason I am buying a trailer is for storage and transport down south once a year. Is it okay to store a boat on rollers over the winter?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,302 Posts
Offering 20% off is up to you ......... I would offer it first and see if they will do it ...... if they don't bite then pay the man and get out of dodge ........ remember you still have to get the temporary tags too .......... If you're out of time then you have to take what you can get ...... just hope you can get your deposit back from Venture (if you made a deposit)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Next Question is, I ordered a Bunk Trailer, and the one at BW is a Roller. The main reason I am buying a trailer is for storage and transport down south once a year. Is it okay to store a boat on rollers over the winter?[/QUOTE]

My boat sits on a Venture roller trailer all winter an have never had an issue.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Pursuit won't warranty if the boat is kept on a roller trailer. Also, the bunks should be placed inside or outside of a lifting strake. The boat should not rest directly on the strakes. Other mfrs are the same but I don't have copies of their warranties.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Storing a modern boat on rollers is usually at the discretion of the boat builder, as damage caused by rollers is mostly old hat. Today's fiberglass, and some metal boats, are mostly ok. Never did fully understand why they would say don't "store" it on rollers, because the boat sits on rollers most of the year anyway. What's another few months.....unless the weight of snow or volumes of water are allowed to accumulate, or perhaps there's a concern of tires flat-spotting, if the trailer is designed for the weight of a loaded boat, and the rollers are properly adjusted, and the boat is properly positioned, and the mfr doesn't balk at it, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
......but it is a left over '05 and they are asking full price. Should I expect to pay full price for a trailer that is 2 years old? Would I be out of line to offer 20% less?
If it was me, and the price was full price for an '05, I'd ask for a "shelf worn" discount. I'd remind them the tires are also two years old and worn, and trailer probably already has weather related corrosion issues showing on some other parts.

If they are asking an '07 full price for the '05, I'd ask them to lower that price to the original '05 price, AND reduce it for being a little worn. But that's just me.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it was me, and the price was full price for an '05, I'd ask for a "shelf worn" discount. I'd remind them the tires are also two years old and worn, and trailer probably already has weather related corrosion issues showing on some other parts.

If they are asking an '07 full price for the '05, I'd ask them to lower that price to the original '05 price, AND reduce it for being a little worn. But that's just me.
That's kinda what I was thinking....

As far as hull warranty goes, I'm not worried about it, the hull is a 1986.:D More worried about Hull integrity and doing any kind of damage with long term (4-5 months a year) storage on the trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts