Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will these 20-30in fish stay around? Can you still jig underschools in late november and December for these fish? Also when trolling for the big fish in the fall do you just troll the shipping channel down deep?

thank,
Mark

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
A lot depends on what part of the bay, theres a lot of areas in the upper bay that they are already gone. usually around 45/50 degrees, but I've found working birds and breaking fish in as low as 40 degrees before (on my boat thermometer), but thats the surface temp, its usually stays warmer for a while longer down deep. But you can catch Rock all winter, you just usually won't find the big schools like in the fall

·
Registered
98 Posts
I troll across the channel to find the fish . That wat you are covering different depths of water. after you find them, continue trolling over the same areas until you stop catching. Its surprising how many fish you can get off the same area. look out for freighters.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
I've caught Rock around the eastern rockpile in mid January by accident while Perch fishing.When the water gets really cold- they get lethargic and do not feed alot.

The warm water discharges hold nice Rock all winter ;-).

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
How long will these 20-30in fish stay around? Can you still jig underschools in late november and December for these fish? Also when trolling for the big fish in the fall do you just troll the shipping channel down deep?

thank,
Mark
Mark, as of late the bigger fish have been up top. 90% of our catches have been off the planer boards. Next weekend im only going to run two deep boat rods and two dummies. The other 13 rods are going on the boards or WWB up high.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts