Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm entirely new to the fall fishing scene. I have fished the spring for a few years now. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. How to and what to use/rig for fall, trolling tips, etc. I figured this was the place to ask, thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Put the broom sticks away and get a medium power fast action rod. Cast spooks and rattletraps anywhere andypat tells you to.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
2 very different approaches.
LTJ on breaking bait. Rock are feeding on small minnows, so metals, small jigs, surface plugs. Heavier metals can sometimes get below the top layer to where the larger rocks are lurking waiting for scraps from the chaos above.

OR

More spring like larger parachutes run deep. I have always had better luck to the south (Solomons and further south), but the fall tournaments usually have some good 'uns pulled in in the mid bay. Some folks really pile on the weight and go big: mojo 'chutes, 9" shads and perhaps even more weight. You need broom sticks for these.

Different strokes for different folks. GL

·
Registered
424 Posts
Put the broom sticks away and get a medium power fast action rod. Cast spooks and rattletraps anywhere andypat tells you to.
or follow NRGarrott's boat

You can follow me as well but I will probably use your boat as target practice to refine my surf-casting skills. I primarily fish from shore.

In all seriousness....

Light tackle approaches

breakers- jig underneath for bigger fish. Both metals and soft plastics can work. One may be better than the other. big birds=bigger fish breaking
BKD's, bust em's on a jighead
sting silvers and lil bunkers

shoreline cruising- topwater along fishy places- points, shoals, humps, shadow lines and current. Be careful not to spook the fish.
Super spooks, Storm chug bugs

Trolling: other guys can probably give you better information. As a crew member, we run deep parachutes around breakers and balls of bait. Unlike the spring, the idea is to cover depths over a smaller area vs a wide spread (planar board).

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
or follow NRGarrott's boat

You can follow me as well but I will probably use your boat as target practice to refine my surf-casting skills. I primarily fish from shore.

In all seriousness....

Light tackle approaches

breakers- jig underneath for bigger fish. Both metals and soft plastics can work. One may be better than the other. big birds=bigger fish breaking
BKD's, bust em's on a jighead
sting silvers and lil bunkers

shoreline cruising- topwater along fishy places- points, shoals, humps, shadow lines and current. Be careful not to spook the fish.
Super spooks, Storm chug bugs

Trolling: other guys can probably give you better information. As a crew member, we run deep parachutes around breakers and balls of bait. Unlike the spring, the idea is to cover depths over a smaller area vs a wide spread (planar board).
bluefish1928, You got my attention with your fishing only from shore. IMO it is more of a challenge to catch fish/rockfish without a boat. I fished out of boats all my life, but I gave it up a few years ago, and now only fish from shore. Do you live on the water and fish there, or do you travel around to find the fish? How about a few pictures?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
That is VERY nice for fishing from shore. Good for you. You have some good areas to fish. Lucky guy!! Thanks for the pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts