Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.

My first year going offshore. Overall, it has been a success. But what about the fall. Is this weather going to lay down so I can get out there? Is the fall weather as predictable a spring/summer?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Bottom line, you should be prepared to fish and take days off to do so. The conditions don't stack up nicely for days on end like the Summer. I don't think the Fall is as bad as Spring but it can be very volatile and I usually do not take mine after Nov. I have in the past but mainly, I'll look for invites on bigger boats for safety/comforts sake. The prospects for a good fall Tuna run (yellowfins) is not looking good as they are not really seeing them to the north and the bite to the south is decent but nothing like years past.

I will say (for anyone who cares) a good friend of mine fishes Cape Cod Bay and out of Chatham, MA. He is a legit pro...they have been killing the "school" Bluefins up there from 100-250 pounds all Summer and Fall. Best he has seen in years. They have been Spooled a couple times by Giants and many Giants have been seen. A LOT of Menhaden and A LOT of nice Stripers too. Maybe a fall Bluefin run will save the day. If I head back out after next week, I will look to spend a good morning on the Fingers looking for a Bluefin.

Good luck!

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Ditto. Keep an eye out for a day or so of S, W or SW breeze and head on out for bluefin. Maybe they ate all the YF.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Bottom line, you should be prepared to fish and take days off to do so. The conditions don't stack up nicely for days on end like the Summer. I don't think the Fall is as bad as Spring but it can be very volatile and I usually do not take mine after Nov. I have in the past but mainly, I'll look for invites on bigger boats for safety/comforts sake. The prospects for a good fall Tuna run (yellowfins) is not looking good as they are not really seeing them to the north and the bite to the south is decent but nothing like years past.

I will say (for anyone who cares) a good friend of mine fishes Cape Cod Bay and out of Chatham, MA. He is a legit pro...they have been killing the "school" Bluefins up there from 100-250 pounds all Summer and Fall. Best he has seen in years. They have been Spooled a couple times by Giants and many Giants have been seen. A LOT of Menhaden and A LOT of nice Stripers too. Maybe a fall Bluefin run will save the day. If I head back out after next week, I will look to spend a good morning on the Fingers looking for a Bluefin.

Good luck!

Glenn
Bring 'em on!! With gas prices falling, I can't wait!!

Ed

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sheeeeezzzz. I'm off this week and.....just look at the offshore forecast. It's all Gilligan-and-Skipper seas.:eek:

Looks like I'm gonna go look for some schoolie striper or a flounder or two. I shoulda geared up for bow hunting this year.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Kayak, I'll be watching for a window - been watching your learning experience and it reminds me of mine. You are welcome on Monarch if and when the wx and schedules line up!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
OUR TIME WILL COME!!!! I need to hook a BFT BABY!!!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
They had a different feeding pattern last fall Mike. They just were not eating the same. All the ones caught last fall were full of crabs. Surface bait was scarce last fall and I think that while they were going by munching on crabs, them ballyhoos looked silly on the surface to them. Even in the wintering grounds off oregon inlet the fishing was way off and the same thing with the crabs.

Its gonna be on like donkey kong down there this fall with the schoolie yellers.

And I heard the same thing about the bluefins up north.... Best season in years. Hopefully they will show me some love down in Morehead this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts