Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

The weather is horrible but fall striper season is coming soon! I have caught striper in December twice trolling. I have experience trolling stretches, mojos with a bucktail on a 3-way and umbrellas. Last season was my first with the boat and I tried trolling in October and had zero luck. Most of the people I have talked to say that they don't really start trolling during the day until December.

My question is what do you all do for early season striper? I am not really worried about catching huge ones...schoolies would be fine (especially if they are in the slot!). I have been out at night fishing lights around docks. If the fish are hitting it seems you can throw anything at the light and get a hit. While I enjoy going out at night, it is not practical for me most of the time. Usually I have my kids with me if I get a chance to fish!

Do any of you all troll during the early season? What about drifting the flats? I figure specks and pups would be a possibility...could I pick up a keeper striper in the flats during October? Do you drive around and look for birds and then cast a lure into them? Does anyone use Rat-L-traps around here?

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would agree. Late November/December is when the fish are running. And the slot limit was only to June 1st. Hoping to get out there this fall myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Trolling can be effective early season. I think the main factor is temp. If there is a warm october expect a slower start to the season. As things cool off a bit the bite will start and is usually good until the end of the season. once its cold enough the main issue is finding them. once you find them, troll or cast and you should catch fish.

·
Registered
514 Posts
rockfish

Hello everyone

The weather is horrible but fall striper season is coming soon! I have caught striper in December twice trolling. I have experience trolling stretches, mojos with a bucktail on a 3-way and umbrellas. Last season was my first with the boat and I tried trolling in October and had zero luck. Most of the people I have talked to say that they don't really start trolling during the day until December.

My question is what do you all do for early season striper? I am not really worried about catching huge ones...schoolies would be fine (especially if they are in the slot!). I have been out at night fishing lights around docks. If the fish are hitting it seems you can throw anything at the light and get a hit. While I enjoy going out at night, it is not practical for me most of the time. Usually I have my kids with me if I get a chance to fish!

Do any of you all troll during the early season? What about drifting the flats? I figure specks and pups would be a possibility...could I pick up a keeper striper in the flats during October? Do you drive around and look for birds and then cast a lure into them? Does anyone use Rat-L-traps around here?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Last year fishing from the mouth of the Rap and North we had breaking rockfish 10/30; good specs 10/31; school rock 11/3; good rock in the Rap 11/10; great schools of rock in bay 11/11; and it continued to improve every day you could get out through the end on the year. Fish can come up anywhere from the mouth of the Potomac to the Rap and up the Rap above the bridge.
Be safe and watch out for poor visibility in thick fog.
You can troll, cast or jig. Be prepared to do all three.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am on the peninsula. I usually fish around the mouth of the York, but the James is close as well. Thanks for all the tips!
The james is great end of october through december. York is great imid november through december. Like someone else said be prepared to troll cast and jig.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Fishing pier lights starting in mid-late October to mid November has worked well for me. Schoolie class fish, casting 3-4 inch gulps, etc. if you sit outside the light pool in a small boat, you can see the fish. Move on to the next pier if there is no action after a half dozen casts.

I think big boats scare the fish away in this game.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have had good luck in early October just soaking cut bunker in the James/mouth of the Warwick in 3 ft of water on a high/outgoing tide. As others mentioned, lighted boat docks & piers at night. I have tried Rattletraps but never had much luck with them. Some people swear by them. My favorite bait for that type of fishing is the floating Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow. During the day I have had the best luck fishing structure like pier pilings and rocks tight to the structure with large Gulps (6 in swimming mullet and 7 in jerk shads) on a red 1 Oz round jig head. You can definitely catch them on the flats aND marshes. Look for points with moving water, especially with deep water nearby.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do/n't hear of many people trolling smaller baits. Most striper trolling seems to be done with mojos, umbrellas, etc. Does anyone troll small rapalas, alabama rigs, less than 1 oz jigs, in shallow water?

I have been successful in lakes trolling in water that is as shallow as 8ft.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I do/n't hear of many people trolling smaller baits. Most striper trolling seems to be done with mojos, umbrellas, etc. Does anyone troll small rapalas, alabama rigs, less than 1 oz jigs, in shallow water?

I have been successful in lakes trolling in water that is as shallow as 8ft.
I know a few that fish skinny water all over the bay. Most have caught small rock all summer.

Up till last yr- I mostly fished the Rapp River,, Early in fall season I did well trolling smaller lures and spoons in morning and evenings ( schoolies) . Up river above Norris bridge on drop offs. (I also dropped live spot around structure)
As season progresses and fish got bigger , I moved to bigger and bigger baits, closer to mouth of river and out into bay.

This will be my first Rock season here at Mob- Jack- York spit area. I plan on getting out looking for some of the as soon as water clears of debris.Using some of my old methods.
I recently started fishing with a guy that knows the area and fishes as often as I-- hope to learn some new rock fishing stuff from him!
I hear live spot at York bridge may not be an option but there is alot of structure short runs away..

btw, I used to troll Lake Anna (alot) and Buggs Island for stripers. (also best to troll/ cast morning and evenings -Crappie fished when sun was higher in sky)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Early season fish tend to be the schoolies 15-26" We have good luck trolling tandem 1oz bucktails with 4" grubs. The pattern works very well in shallow water, and across points. The night time bite should pick up along the HRBT and CBBT in the next few weeks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts