Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the planner board lines do you all use any extra weight other than just the lures themselves. I think I recall people saying use no extra weight but not sure. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm not adding weight, but will have some relatively heavy lures--some in tandem--off my planer lines. All boat roads (with the exception of the WWB) will be deep.

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Don't laugh at my answer.
I use no weight on one side-just all single parachutes from 2 to 6 ozs.

The other side in a way is weighted - but with a lure :thumbup:.
I run all tandems on the "heavy" side.I use a heavy duty 3/0 three way swivel and a 2 oz parchute or sometimes a 6'' Storm lure from a 12 foot leader.The dropper is 6 feet and carries the "weight".I like a 6,8 or sometimes 10 oz parachute as the second lure.I vary the amount of line out from the clip.Starts out at 100 feet and I work in to about 45 feet.Once I figure out what combo (weight/length) is working-I adjust the other tandems to get close to that depth.With braided line-a heavy tandem will get fairly deep.

As others pointed out-the very deep lines are fished off the boat.

Crazy thing is- sometimes in winter, the Rock prefer the shallow single lures :confused::confused::confused:.I do mix up colors on both sides until I see one catching better.

Even my heavy boat lines are tandems.I use 20 oz MoJo's (Warren's) as a weight.Often big Rock INHALE the MoJo :yes:.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Crazy thing is- sometimes in winter, the Rock prefer the shallow single lures :confused::confused::confused:.I do mix up colors on both sides until I see one catching better.
I'm sure even the feeble minded remember this......
Last fall/winter, all of us were catchin fish on the lightest weights off the planer boards. Still catchin 'em down deep too, but we caught a lot of fish in the upper 15' of the water column. Didn't make sense then, still doesn't but the only trip we didn't catch fish off the upper lines on the planer boards was the very last trip in Maryland waters on December 15. My records show that all but one fish was caught on the deep boat rods, and the one was off a top rod 375' out with a 13/0 CA and 3 oz.........Tom

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
This goes back about 7 years.We fished off Smith Point in mid December and only got one fish.All the rigs were weighted - the way everyone fished then.I saw a big Rock swirl on the surface- so I put a spoon 300 feet back-no weight.It caught two nice Rock within an hour :thumbup:.

Few days later-I brought the planer boards and put out a big spread.I felt stupid at first.The local Va. boys got a kick out of me.I heard them on the radio- teasing about that Grady who thought it was springtime.I had the last laugh when we landed over 20 big Rock :D - I heard the one captain say - damn that Grady is hooked up AGAIN :thumbup:.Each year after that-we saw more planer boards in winter.

No idea why Rock like the higher lures some days.Best was in a snow storm :pp.The bait marks deep (25-45 feet) but the planer lines sure catch some days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts