Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we left the day after Xmas i could not believe the wife said she wanted to go. It's not that she does not like to fish she just hates the cold.Got the boat loaded and off we went. It was myself,the wife my son ray and my 13 year old nephew.

Got down to bad news from Chri's bait and tackle that the big boys have been few and far between. I planned on drifting eels because of the unexperienced crew. Nothing happened Fri for the few hours we fished. Not even a knock down. Got back to Kitopeke Inn and nobdy had fish. Got out Sat after 800am to miss the crazy **** at the ramp. Got in with no problem. Started the 1rst drift and the fog rolls in. You cannot see 50 yds infronty of the boat. Turned on the Radar and motored around without much trouble. It is amazing how stupid people can be when the fog is that thick I was almost run over by a guy in a world cat that was doing at 30+ in the fog.

Fog lifts and one reel just makes a few clicks like quints reel in jaws. The fish did not take the eel. 10 minutes later one of the rels starts to scream I am only one on back of boat. I call out to my nephew to get out and reel this fish in he is sound asleep in the cabin. My wife steps up toi the plate and catches the the biggest Rockfish of her life. 40in 28 lbs. I could not have been prouder of her it made the whole trip worth while. It was the only fish of the trip.:bigfish:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Great fish. But I got to ask, why didn't you just go casting the pilings? Everyone in your crew would have at least caught a few smallish fish in no time. The pilings between the high rise and the 4th almost always hold good numbers of fish this time of year. Try shallow and then deep and then suspended but you usually don't need to look much further than the shallow areas.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of that. You are right but my boat is 253 Mako and I am the only one on board who really can rig,drive,net. They are all learning i would rather they get alittle more rigging and rodding time before I pull up next to the pilings and have something go wrong that would have went right if they had more experience. I lost my 2 best fishing partners to a family squabble. we could read each others minds we had fished together for 25 years.Now my family is stepping up to the plate and they are doing just fine. To answer your question more plainly I did not want to see my boat smack up against a piling and have me yelling at everyone like captain Ahab., We caught plenty of small rcok this summer we were after the cows. My wife is hooked and ready to go again and after 20 years of marriage I could not be happier.:clapping2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts