Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my biggest fish i every cuaght in from tues point light was 23 or so inchs and i have fished it off and on 25 yrs. i usually fish amaco at night and some lite up docks. we have jigged up some around the coleman bridge in our boats 24" of so. today i had a fish peel line like never before, at the coleman lost it. 5 minutes later i cuaght one that fought alot less. still fought well a fat 40" around 30lbs i would geuss. anyway i have never seen anything like that, that far up the york. my best for the york. serious york fishers how often does the colman produce that class fish? thats #2 over 38 i have personaly seen in a week. i was alone and the onlt pic is on the cell.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
nice fish !!!!!..... what time of day did you get your bites ?? I may have to give it a try

that class of fish are usually seen in March when they are on the way up the river for the summer, watch for gannets

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
my biggest fish i every cuaght in from tues point light was 23 or so inchs and i have fished it off and on 25 yrs. i usually fish amaco at night and some lite up docks. we have jigged up some around the coleman bridge in our boats 24" of so. today i had a fish peel line like never before, at the coleman lost it. 5 minutes later i cuaght one that fought alot less. still fought well a fat 40" around 30lbs i would geuss. anyway i have never seen anything like that, that far up the york. my best for the york. serious york fishers how often does the colman produce that class fish? thats #2 over 38 i have personaly seen in a week. i was alone and the onlt pic is on the cell.
I think the state record from years ago, the old state record, was caught at the mouth of the Matoponi river at the bridge, thats pretty far up i would say.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really i didnt know about the state record. i hear storys of 30-36 inch fish off the coast guard station in channel. i have seen pics on here in march. and i hear chitem annex has 30+" fish at pier. i usually focuse on the mouth of the bay. not the york. just had a couple hours to kill. and gave river walk people a good show. lol. i landed it at 1pm the other one i lost was 5 min earlier out going in eddies and a 22" at 11:30 or so. few other knock downs. fun day drove 1 mile to fish.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
WTG!!!!

Nice Fat Striper!

If the water temp is right you could still have lots of big fish feeding in the mouth of the river and around structure feeding. There are a lot of eels that come out of the York at this time of year.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sweet!

Nice way to kill a couple hours.:yes: I've done well under the bridge this past fall with fish up to 30 some inches, but nothing like that.:thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up!:D

James

·
Registered
972 Posts
Nice fish. There have been a few gannets diving in front of work (vims) for the past few days, maybe an indication of bigger bait and bigger fish in the river.
Ive heard of some real big fish caught in the old days but not heard or seen in the last few years, except for the spring run of large females.

Hamish

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are there now some good c and r fishing going on at bridge. 45" at tue mash i heard of a few that size were you on the pudding pop ?? thats the baot name

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The bridge was loaded with fish when we put in this morning at Gloucester Point to head south. On the way back in there was a nice little flurry of gannets and gulls out front of the amoco docks. The fish will stay there as long as they have something to feed on. Have heard of them in there through the end of January before.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Chris,

What are they catching on? Stretches? Mojos?

Dave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
100lb rockfish

there was a 100lb rockfish netted this spring by the pamunkey indian reservation. It was witnessed by one of my friends friends. the fish was apparently killed as it was gill netted. word is that it hung off both sides of a truck tail gate. no one from vmrc was called to my knowledge.

I know of one other 100 lb rockfish that was netted off of hatteras near the inlet during the early 1970's. I know this man personally whom picked the fish up. he was not the one who netted it. He said he picked up as much as he could barely and much of the fish was still dragging the sand. It was one of the nets taken from the beach out in a boat and dragged back by a pickup truck onto the beach.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stretchs is the bait. and like i said i lost one that was pulling harder than i have ever had a rock pull before. he got off after a minute or so. there are alot of big fish there. just seems the tide might have to be right.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
i might have to splash the boat soon one afternoon when the wind isn't howling

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah i am very much wanting to try again. a buddy of mine got one last week 38" 29 lbs and a 28" thats why i went to see what the fuss was about.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.