Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
In case you haven't seen it in the paper, or heard of it otherwise:
The "Hot Ditch" is to be included as part of a development project to include a marina, boat ramp, dock, residentials, retails, a park, and a fishing dock. It is called Rumor has it, there is also a hotel planned.

The Chesapeake Planning Commission is holding a public rezoning hearing on Jan 10 at 7:00pm at the Chesapeake City Counsil Chamber. Here is the agenda:

http://www.chesapeake.va.us/services/depart/planning/agenda/agenda2.pdf

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only item I see even close is at 1800 Shipyard Road, which would put it between Chesapeake Yachts and the COE land at the cove.

In any case, unless the power plant is being moved, the warm water has to go someplace. If the powerplant is being moved, the whole discussion is moot anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Somehow they got their teeth in some COE land.

Oh well, we knew the Millville area was going to be developed at some point. Moses Grandy Trail probably sped up the process quite a bit.

The ditch itself should be fine. The cove appears to be history if they can get the permits, which are not a sure thing by any means. The Chesapeake Planning Department has this habit of asking for all kinds of stuff.

It should be interesting to hear the new residents gripe about Chesapeake Yachts and the existing residents of Millville.

·
Registered
111 Posts
not that I have ever fished the hot ditch, but that area looks to me like it is across from it and encompasses "hole in the wall". There is already a marina with a ramp and travel lift there now that you can see from the bridge. I understood the hot ditch to be the area on the otherside of 64.

·
Registered
129 Posts
not that I have ever fished the hot ditch, but that area looks to me like it is across from it and encompasses "hole in the wall". There is already a marina with a ramp and travel lift there now that you can see from the bridge. I understood the hot ditch to be the area on the otherside of 64.
You are correct. Sometimes the fishing in the cove is better than the ditch, so it tends to all be considered as one big fishing grounds.

Chesapeake Yachts is the parcel immediately to the east of the parcel in question.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This project has been in the making for quite some time now. The development plan, as presented, would make fishing at the cove history. All the land involved is privately owned, except for some utility easements.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I just finished reading the 56 page pdf file application for the project. If this goes through you can kiss the cove goodbye. They show piers stretching almost all the way across the cove. They also show piers on deep creek starting at the cove and going all the way down to Chesapeake yachts. They do however mention installing a ramp that will be usable by all residents of Chesapeake.

This is a real bummer but not something that wasn't expected sooner or later with the building boom going on in the area. To tell you the truth I haven't been able to fish the cove much in the last few years anyways with the explosion of beach fishermen in there not to mention all the loose lipped boaters telling everyone how to fish the area. The majority of my fish don't come from that area so this won't effect my fishing much. The people that fish that area from the shore will big the big loosers because they can't go to the other ditch areas by shore.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
That sucks but maybe some good will come of it. Maybe they will expedite the "snailing" cleanup of the water.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
well as a deep creek resident, it ought to be interesting to see where the y plan on maing all the traffic got to. geo washington hiway is 2 lane for about 3=4 mile and forms a tremendous bottle neck around 0630 til 0830 and again at 1500 thru 1830 DAILY. this ceates a back up thats usually several miles long.

then we got schools, i graduated in 97' and even then we had 30 portable classrooms for the over flow students, since then, theyve added several more wings to the existing highschool, and guess what, the portables are still slam full.

as much as love to fish the ditch-the cove in particular, and do several times a week, my opinion has nothing to with my personal hobbies. deep creek cant stand another subdivision.

the deveolpers need to take a step back and just look at the problems that already exist.
1 you will be living in a swamp
2 traffic sux
3 the roads flood with a minor nor'easter

recently i was looking at some houses behing the middle school, tiny,no frills, 2200sq.ft/ houses were asking 600k......thats rediculous. who the hell do they think can afford these places.

in 2000 i bought a house 2000sqf. on geo.washington hiway, really good condition, for under 80K...wtf.

danny

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
ah yes the hot ditch - what fond memories of fishing there in the late 70's and all threw the 80's .....that was when I was only 1 of just 7 houses on all of elbow road.......there was no yacht club,greenbriar was gravel and the only way to va beach was kempsville after they paved it, north landing was a traffic jam with muddy potholes and driving to work was easy,the long way was the only way because there was no such thing as damn neck road.....i thought they filled in the cove on 1987.......population growth 15,000 every year....people gotta live some where and mother nature will pay the price- EVERYTIME

·
Registered
154 Posts
Chesapeake Resident

this subject has been on the plannin commissions books for a while and as far as meeting it wont go in effect until later 2010

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
538 Posts
the cove as a public access issue ...

If development site is all private property and no public monies/tax dollars are going to it (dredging, beach replinshment, bulkheads/jettys/groins, etc) which appears to be the case, then the Coastal Zone Mgt Act wouldn't kick in to require public access.

I really don't know how folks have been accessing the cove to bank fish to begin with as I haven't attempted that ~ is there an existing public access to the cove?! If there is, one could then attempt to make the case essentially beg & plead to maintain said access. For those accessing the cove via water, they will be faced with the detrimental effects of development from docks/piers ie., less space and more obstacles not to mention the water quality related issues.

Just one more instance of the legal right of private property owners and developers to minimize or eliminate the public's access to and enjoyment of our natural resources. Again, from an access stand point, unless our tax dollars are used/appropriated for the development and/or maintenance of the private property (~ shoreline) there's not all to much that can be done and this trend will continue :(

non-profit `bucket

·
Registered
468 Posts
When referring to the Hot Ditch, I think of the area directly across from Chesapeake Yachts on the other side and under I-64. Not the creek or the cove or that whole portion of the river.
Regardless of location it will be sad to see yet more development in Chesapeake. What I'd like to know is how do they plan on getting traffic too and from this location? It's fairly isolated from major thoroughfairs. Next thing you know there will be another exit off I-64 near the high rise.
I agree Deep Creek and Great Bridge are developing too quickly for the schools, services, and utilities. Look at what's happening the used-to-be Hickory area. Geez. Is there no end to this development madness?

Why don't they try to redevelop some of that old wasted industrial land instead? I hear Nova Chemical is no longer operating.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Danny hit the nail on the head. I can think of numerous parcels of land that are better to develop. The proposed site will offer an excellent view I-64, Va Power and manufactured-zoned land across the river. With the way real estate has slowed down, I would not hold your proverbial breath. About a month ago, there was a northeaster blowing through. There was water creeping up on those new homes that are built on the edge of the marsh on the north side of I-64 just west of the creek. What a shame.

As to redeveloping "that old wasted industrial land" and "Nova Chemical" those words in your question is probably the answer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I remember WELL Battlefield Blvd. back in the early 80's when I started going to Hatteras. There were only a couple of gas stations, Hardees and 7-11. And late on friday nights you had better hit one of those stations !!!! :eek: That kind of rampant development is going on up here in northern Va. Heck, Prince William Co. even put a one year moratorium on new developments because they can't build or widen roads fast enough!!!

Mark
230 Sportcraft C/C

1 - 20 of 34 Posts