Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta tell ya sumfin man- I cracked open that jar of smoked tuna last night.
Removed roughly 1/3 from jar and did the ol initial taste test/sampling.
:thumbup:
Thats some good stuff man and couldnt be better IMO.
I had a method to my madness & ulterior culinary motives. I made a green salad of a mix of fresh red sail, bib, and mesclun. To it I finely sliced on red & gr cabbage, red onion, and tossed in liberal amounts of fresh dill, thyme, chives,
rosemary, and fresh chopped scallions. Then I sliced several radishes thin.
I tossed this and then flaked apart the tuna on top. I drizzled a little oil n vinegar on it. I added croutons. To put a merciful end to it all, I added several asparagus spears and cracked the hell outta fresh peppercorns all up in it, under it, & around it.
:yes:
I sat here with the cats meow and ate the best salad that has ever passed mortal mans lips.:yes::yes::yes:
Thanks man, that is some good product there.

Now is when I git downright chitty......
I am so impressed, that the remaining 2/3 jar looms large. I am having thoughts of going 5 Star just fer myself. I am thinkin how much asparagus I have, and thinking sumthin along the lines of creamed chunked tuna over a bed of linguini, with steamed asparagus, and a simple fresh garden salad. Am thinking the creamed part will just be a simple corn starch white sauce, cuz I want the taste of the tuna left to be, no other players tweaking it. The very reason there was only oil & the least of vinegar on last nights salad- I aint one to desecrate the taste of smoked fish by pouring a bottle of Zesty Catalina over it.

Anyway just wanted you to know that yur tuna was the center to my salad universe last night, and a great part of why I sat here knowing that the diners at The Williamsburg Inn or those thinking they were eating a great salad that Wolfgang Puck made are but delusional has-beens with no real knowledge of just how good a salad can be.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What, no pics?:nono::poke1: Sounds like a good meal!:yes:
The salad was a spur-of-the-moment thing, no time for pics. I hadnt et all day and when the salad idea hit it was like a whiteboy whirling dervish in here. Any pics woulda been blurred. There is no shutter speed can cover the time it took from bowl to mouth.

Now of course the Linguini Under Smoked Tuna Sauce with Steamed Buttered Asparagus, Garden Salad, Pickled Beets, Fresh Scallions,
and Candied Lotus Blossoms will be well-documented. I can only wish Emeril would be here with me to share the moment. I'd grab him by the nape of the neck, head-slam him face-first into the counter top, and tell him **** a Notch, lets take it up a whole rung on the ladder.
Okay, sorry for that sudden violent outburst. Has nuthin to do with Emeril. Just thinking how I will have to do all the cooking alone, since my chef left, and frustrated in knowing that somewhere out there an innocent old lady in her early 30s with a nice pair is just lookin all over to get off that pole and come live the country life and can say to all her friends "I have finally arrived, and all you silly girls are still dancing fer tips."

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, just idle musing on my part here but humor me if you have a reply or answer: (Serious) Why is it, or what are the forces or factors at play when I tell you the truth in that I personally like to cook so much that I love to cook for any of those around me in life, myself, a complete stranger. I would love to have, and use happily, the facilities and equipment and all of the very best there is. I mean I would be the oddball who has all the desire to and graduates from the finest culinary institute in the world but have no interest AT ALL (YUCK)
of ever cooking for anyone as a job or professionally.
Do you git my question? I will gladly drag down 187 tools n utensils and spend 4 hrs makin myself a gourmet meal sparing nuthin, but if I were penniless and the only job and I could have it was being head chef at Le Chouz Ne Vois, or flippin burgers at Macky Ds fer that matter, I'd say heck no, never, I would rather mop public toilets than ever imagine myself in a kitchen setting other than my own at home.
Help. I think this is of major consequence, and the world may end soon if I dont get satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely. Recently here I got into a knife-fight with a bout a 2.5 lb pork loin strap. I won. There were several deep stab wounds that I filled with garlic cloves. I then rubbed a mix of cumin & ground allspice all over it and put it in the fridge wrapped in saran wrap for a day. Upon its reentry into society, I set the oven on 330 and laid the beast out in an open pyrex baking dish (oblong), and after kissing it, basted it in a liquid mix of worcestershire, sesame oil, red wine, & balsamic vinegar. On both sides. I slipped it in the oven like a finger on a seasoned proctologist. I figgered about 1.5 hrs, which gave me plenty time to impress my guest with my handiness and knowledge around things like wild rice, pearled barley, buckwheat. I did a trio of em, and they enjoyed the company of scallions and garlic sauteed in EVOO as a cooking medium and base. Considering the corn relish I make that accompanied aint bad, and theres no denying if you want the lowdown on pickled beets I may be a source, the meal seemed to be well-taken. Pity she got skeet about the cookin and left before the bedtime story.

·
Registered
251 Posts
glad ya liked it man.the heirloom maters growin and lookin good.got a couple candidates for your seed project.snap peas are bloomin,lettuce is ready,green onions ready,taters a failure,always buy seed taters,put out 4 more cherokee purples my dad gave me yesterday while visiting mom,contenders doing great,squash up, oldest son and i planted em 26th april,cabbage and b.sprouts takin a beatin from a hen turkey hangin out in the yard,been blaming my chickens.peppers a growin,basil ready,got some more onyuns and contenders to get in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts