Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 16 acres that a farmer is going to plant with hay/alfalfa. He raises horses and it'll be to that end that he needs that particular crop. What do you guys think of that as a food plot? The farmer says he has planted it that way before and brought in numerous deer, but I'm used to Soy bean/ corn rotations that seem to work fine on our old farm. Do you think it'll be OK or should I plan now to install feeders?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've hunted over Alfalfa field in the past. They're best during the early bow season. That is usually right after the farmer gets his last cutting for the year and the deer come in for those fresh shoots coming up. A lot depends on the pressure they get too. They love the the stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Deer that feed off of alfalfa are better tasting and grow bigger. Just look at the Milk River in Montana, especially on those Real Tree videos. They eat nothing but alfalfa over there. I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Add corn on the cob,and a little loose kernals at times when necessary, will pull the does and you'll get your buck...

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I think the alfalfa will do great from what you guys said and the corn I'll add in a couple spots should fill any doubts. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts