Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time walking the land I plan to hunt this season and got to thinking about terrain features. I wondered what features are most attractive to the rest of you, and why.

I found several good areas with multiple trails that merge together, funnels, ravines, a swamp, pines, mixed pine/hardwood, oaks. I'm trying to decide which of these areas to hunt with my very limited time and was wondering what you would look for, or find attractive.

I'm interested in hearing what you'd hunt first, during bow season, and later during the muzzleloader weeks.

Hook1

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hook,
The merging trails got my attention. With out a doubt I wouldn't go there again until the day of the hunt. I would carry my stand in the day of the hunt put it up and hunt all day. If you hadn't seen the big one in two days change locations. Worst thing you can do is stink up the place.
Bubba [angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Early (bowseason), I just find the acorns with feeding sign, meaning lots of fresh acorn cap, few acorns and many piles of fresh dropping.

Hook, find the spot on Terraserver and post us a pic/link. Lets take a look at that land.

Dayton

·
Registered
185 Posts
Think outside the box....what is the norm?.... do the opposite. I bagged my best muzzleloader buck when I put no thought in it, I made sure my buddy was on the best stand, so I thought. He asked me what was I going to do and I said I was going back to the truck and walk down the road and sit on the side of the road. This is not a state maintained road but a loggiing road. On the way down the road I noticed 2 fresh scrapes. this was in the afternoon and it had been raining all day so my instincts told me that a buck was near by. I set out some scent, got a good spot and used the "can call" followed by a few grunts and HERE HE COMES....with in a few minutes he stepped out in the road and gave his last grunt an "BANG" i let her fly. 20 inches wide, Nice 9 pt 180 pounds. Needless to say my buddy down in the swamp wasn't too amused when I called him to come help me drag him out. So my favorite hunts are the ones you don't expect but just come to ya when you aint' looking. Kinda like the other 9 pointer I killed while I was putting up a tripod stand with my cousin Sea-Ya. but that's a later story.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yea you scarf, that was my buck.[grin]Did't even get to finish putting up my tripod and bang.And then used my black powder to finish him.I would have let him go anyway because he was to small.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Come on now....He was no B&C buck but still respectable with a 19 inch spead not real massive a little thin with the bones upstairs. If I had time I would have passed as well, but you gotta admit that helping a buddy put up a stand and shooting a buck in front of him is pretty dang exciting. [excited]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nicbuc
The only thing worse that you could have done would be to shoot the deer with his gun. I don't think he'll forget that one. Way to go, someone had to score on that buck, I guess it was your day?
hook1

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do ya really wanna bust your gut? I shot the deer with my gun but since we were working I didn't have my reload pack that iI keep in my top pocket and the deer was recovering QUICKLY from my shot and I told Sea-Ya to give me his gun so I could finish him off and he was flipping out for me not to shoot his gun because he didn't want to clean it.....so he took my gun back to his truck to reload it for me and I COVERED the... now...not so hurt buck with his gun and as soon as he returned the buck stood up as if nothing happened and looked at me and all I could hear was Sea-Ya behind me whispering " shoot him shoot him, so I let er fly and down he went for good...But I ended up doing just that actually killing the deer with his gun. Good thing we get along[grin]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude,
You guys are crackin' me up!
I guess ole seaya just didn't run fast enough.
I'll bet next time he'll break the land speed record.
hook1

·
Registered
185 Posts
yeah Hook it pays to have a small group to hunt with, we have a lot of fun as you can tell. Have we pissed each other off ? Sure.. thats the nature of the competativeness in the family. But all in all we have all achieved the greatest success and have had fun doing it. if i never kill another deer I will be ok but as long as I can screw up SEA-YA at least once a year I'll be fine [grin] just kidding but if I can hunt with my 7 year old and he can get em now that's what it's all about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts