Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do some jig pouring and tying. What are the favorite styles, size and color combos?
Popeyes?
Hot Lips/Smiling Bill?
Banana Style?

1/2-3/4 oz.
1-1 1/2 oz.
2-3 oz.

White
Red/White combo
Chartruese
White /Chartreuse

any other suggestions?

thanks,
Bignose

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
My favorite is the Bass Assassin jighead type. They hold plastics very well, short shank-wide gap hook and the eyelet is far forward (prevents the hook from fouling on the line). These cheaper versions are the ones I get from Cabela's (BPS stopped carrying them):

View attachment 12642

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
bignose - Guess selection of jig heads depends a lot on what type of fishing you will be doing... trolling, LTJ with bucktails or LTJ with soft plastics.

I much prefer LTJ fishing. I fish round-bodied soft plastics almost exclusively, such as Bass Assassins or BA look-a-likes I pour at home ranging in size from the 4" to almost 9" long. As of recent I've developed a strong preference for round bullet-head jigs because of the flush, almost seamless fit these jighead have with the round soft plastics. Since I almost always super glue the plastics to the jigs, I prefer jigheads with a long barbed collar that provides extra surface for the plastics to stick to.

So my preferences are"
- Shrimp Body Jighead, Offshore Angler, 3/8oz, for 4" paddletail BAs. (BPS)
- Katlin Ultimate Jighead, 1/2oz to 1.5oz, for 5"-9" BAs (Internet sales)
- Got-cha jigheads, 1/4oz to 1/2oz (most tackle stores)

The Got-chas are not bullet shaped but they do have a long barbed shaft of lead on the hook shank... good to glueing soft plastics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts