Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading back to Islamorada again in May. Last year we got into some big tarpon. I was using 5/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks. We had several fish pull the hooks. Which is not unusual but we also had two hooks break. Can anyone suggest a better hook that isn't too heavy for the crabs/pinfish?

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Im use the Owner Mutu and Super Mutu and the Gorilla hooks with good success, I also like the Mustad 92553 beak and use it a lot with the Pinfish under a float.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hooks

Capt. Bob,
Thanks for the advice. I've raised this question on a few forums and Owner seems to be the hook of choice. My next question(s) is what size hook and what type of knot do you use? I was snelling my rigs but these hooks have rings. I was using 80lb fluoro for leaders and my knot skills aren't too great with the heavy line.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I do not use the ringed hooks for these applications, so I snell all my hooks when I get to the size where I used 80# or better in fact I snell most hooks as it give the hook a better straight pull to the point as knots can slip to the side
when I snell a non offset hook the line goes in from the point side and keeps the point driving in torwards the line of pull

on the knot side I often use the Palomar as it does tie better with heavier mono when I do tie with mono

I also bought a dremel sanding wheel a small drum about 1/2 in in diameter with fine grit replaceable drums and I put it in one of my variable speed cordless drills and it makes short work of putting razor sharp points on the hooks ,,,by using the slow speed and locking the drill in the on position I get great control and don't over heat the hook and ruin its temper,,,just an FYI

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
CT Surfer,
7/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks and Owner 5/0 work well with crabs and pinfish. They will break if it hits bone. Larger hooks that are not as sharp are too hard to set if using light rods.
If it is a hot bite than I use 8 feet 80# fluro and if the bite slows I drop down to 8 feet 60# fluro. All fluro is not created equal. Seagar is more expensive but holds knots better.
6' bimini to Uni Uni with 4 turns on the 80 and 5 turns on the 60 will never fail you.

Were you using braid or fireline when your hooks broke?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt. Bill,
I was using 50lb power-pro line. I also use the Seaguar flouro. I've noticed a difference in quality with the flouro more so than with mono leader material. You get what you pay for... I was also using 80lb leaders. I've tried to tie the bimini, but I don't have the patience! It never seems to come out right. I was just going with a uni-uni and a longer piece of flourocarbon. I think we only lost 1 fish to a broken line. I'm goint to try the Owner hooks this time. They seem to be the hook of choice.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
developed a new habit

having split a couple of crab shells getting the hook in the point of the shell...I now predrill a hole and does it ever make life easier, I use a 1/16th bit and predrill all my crabs before leaving my truck...takes about 5 minutes but haven't split or lost a crab since...just work the barb past the holes and I'm good to go...I drill both sides as a secondary fall back in case I FUBAR pushing the hook thru...AND...I make sure I don't drill the crab, just his shell

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
CT Surfer,
I use either 30# mono and 30# fireline for my running line when around the bridges. When I snap a hook it is always on the fireline.
You can really put the heat on a big fish when around the bridges with braid or fireline. The price you pay with a fish not hooked solid is breaking the hook. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts