Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually over on the Virginia board, but I need a little help for my wife. She is thinking about getting a Hobie yak like one she saw on TV that you can pedal or paddle. It would primarily be used in an old millpond or the tidal creek behind it for bass, catfish and crappie fishing. She may dunk it in saltwater on bay side ESVA or a few other protected areas. Is this a decent yak or are there others she should consider. She really likes the fact you can pedal this thing. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Have her try the Hobie Sport. It is perfect for ponds and creeks. It can handle rougher waters, but since it's only 9.5ft long you will get wet in a nasty chop compared the 16ft Hobie Adventure. Check out the Adventure if she plans on spending more time in the in larger water/bay. Have her try the Sport and the Adventure and let her decide.

I've owned a Tarpon 120, Tarpon 140, Ocean Kayak Caper, Prowler 15 and now have the Hobie Sport and Hobie Adventure. The Hobies are my favorite kayak compared to the other kayaks. If you are going to spend alot of time in shallow water with lots of grass,weeds,hydrilla then the Hobie may not be the best kayak.

Here are couple reviews for the Hobie Sport.
http://www.plasticnavy.com/kayakreview/hobiesport.htm

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Agree it's hard to find a dissatisfied Hobie customer - I'm certainly one of the owners who is nothing but pleased with my Adventure. You also have the Outback as an in-between option... shorter than Adventure, longer than Sport.

I just got my Hobie catalog in the mail yesterday - may want to request one from the company. Best bet is to test pedal them.

For what it's worth, it is generally agreed that only the Adventure both paddles and pedals well... with the other Hobie boats they either paddle well (quest, etc) or pedal well (outback, sport)... but not both.

Josh

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it really has been helpful. She is going to go see a few soon to help decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts