Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ferry Point Marina has been sold. The girls working the office informed me of this, this past weekend. Everything I'm about to tell ya is what I was told by them but I know nothing about timeframe. The new owners are going to expand the restaurant. There will be no more boats stored there as they are going to expand the parking lot. The boat ramp will go. The marine hoist will go. No more marina? Not sure about the piers and docking, but it would make sence to keep the docks for those comming by water. Anyway, you heard it first right here on Tidalfish :D .

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I need to start looking for another spot to keep the Parker.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That's bad news! I really enjoy their tiki bar's atmostphere on a cool summer evening, but that place not being a marina is not good.....

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
The future is not really bright for marinas I'm afraid. Let's face it, how many of us would want to work hard at a marina for a living, when the land is worth millions?

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
The future is not really bright for marinas I'm afraid. Let's face it, how many of us would want to work hard at a marina for a living, when the land is worth millions?
True dat... but without these marinas, where will any of us keep our boats? On moorings?
Without the boats to keep them operating, what will eventually happen to these resturants and their fuel docks?

It's a catch 22...

It is a shame that owners are cashing out, but there really isn't anything that the State or our Counties have done to help keep them in business either. They can work long hours and make a modest living, or sell out to a condo developer, make millions, and retire.

I don't see anyone helping them stay in business, so what do we expect? :(

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
True dat... but without these marinas, where will any of us keep our boats? On moorings?
Without the boats to keep them operating, what will eventually happen to these resturants and their fuel docks?

It's a catch 22...

It is a shame that owners are cashing out, but there really isn't anything that the State or our Counties have done to help keep them in business either. They can work long hours and make a modest living, or sell out to a condo developer, make millions, and retire.

I don't see anyone helping them stay in business, so what do we expect? :(
That's not the case here from what Virgil post. It seems the new owners wants to expand the restaurant by eliminating the marina.

- Dae

·
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good question? Honestly, it's the one main reason I haven't packed up and moved off to the hills :confused: . Just spent to much time on this river to pack up and leave her now. Things are never as bad as they appear to be and almost always work out for the best. I'm gonna play it by ear.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
That's not good. I kept a boat there for about 4 years and really enjoyed it. The restaurant isn't much but it was a fun atmosphere. Hopefully Peninsula Yacht Services won't be affected too badly. They have some of the best marine mechanics around.

It was only a matter of time. They have a lot of under utilized land and resources. It's a shame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've kept my HydraSport in a slip there for ten years and have used the ramp for my other boats all my life. This will eliminate the only ramp on the Magothy I do believe. We need to start a grass root effort to get the State of Md. to build a public ramp on the Magothy. The run around from Sandy Point in the winter on a breezy cold day is not something I want to do. Perhaps Tidalfish can play a lead role in getting this going.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
.... This will eliminate the only ramp on the Magothy I do believe.
Good point, but there is still a ramp at Fairwinds. However as more ramps are taken out of service, the remaining ones get busier and more than likely, more expensive. (simple law of supply and demand)

I know when I was there at Ferry Point the owner of the restaurant was always complaining about the ramp. He felt it took business from his restaurant because of the traffic and limited parking. Unfortunately, he got his wish.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I cannot imagine anything happening quickly. The new owner will have to obtain permits to build a new building and I am sure the residential community will fight it as it will increase traffic. While he goes through all that stuff he is going to want and need to generate revenue. My neighbor keeps his Rinker 390 there...

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't get it and it is certainly a catch 22. But to me, it's not going to be a great restaurant, ever. It's just not in an area that will ever make it uber-popular for folks. I suspect they're going to try to make it like Cantler's, which is a weak move. It's still going to be a tiki bar that will attract folks that have been out on the water, but many who would have wrapped up their boating day by grabbing some food and cold beverages at the bar will now have to go elsewhere. Some folks, like me, will be stubbornly upset about them getting less boater-friendly by eliminating their ramp. What idiots would have complained about the boat ramp when eating at the tiki bar? It's a big part of what makes the scenery interesting. Not my money, I know, but it frustrates me when this kind of thing happens... Can the restaurant business compared to the tiki bar/full service marina business be that much better? I'd have figured the other way around.... I'm going to whine about this for quite some time....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ramps on Western shore rivers

I have contacted the DNR about better boat access for small boat owners who trailer to different locations, they state that it's up to the counties to find the property for ramps and parking lots. I insisted that we pay fees to DNR every year and they should at the state level be more active in aquiring property for parking and ramps. We should get together and pursue this for everyone. I boat in Pennsylvania and their ramps and parking are outstanding and guess what it's Free!

·
Registered
86 Posts
How about a public ramp on each major AA County river. The County already owns plenty of waterfront land. Call the new County Exec, John Leopold, 410-222-1821, he vowed to improve public access to the water during his campaign.

·
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking condos too, but one thing's for sure. Another icon from my childhood is about to fall by the wayside if this takes place.

As far as ramps goes, the county does own property, and lots of it too, right on the Matothy up near Beachwood Park. I'm pretty sure it includes Beechwood Park but I'm just going from what I've been told. Don't hold yer breath wainting for the county to do anything with it though.

Fairwinds Marina would work but the ride up and down the open river during the winter months could be hazardous for smaller boats wanting to fish the upper river areas, and those wanting to slip a yak overboard can forget fishing the many protected creeks up river if putting over there.

Just going to have to wait and see where it all goes from here.:confused:

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
I think that most land that the County owns is undeveloped and in many cases serves to preserve undeveloped shoreline. If that's true, then I do not think that the County should pave over that land to build a ramp and large parking area. What I would prefer to see happen is that the County offer incentives to marina operators to keep a ramp operating and available to the public or, failing that, take over an existing ramp through its power of emminent domain.

The reason that DNR does not typically get involved in aquiring property for public water access is because land use issues have (foolishly, in my mind) been almost the sole province of localities. O’Malley is considering changing that policy, though, I understand.

·
Registered
985 Posts
6.5 million for a restaurant huh? I too clearly see condos, or perhaps some other sort of commercial draw besides just the restaurant. That's big bucks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts