Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I can't go more than a week these days without fishing in some form, regardless of how cold it is. So yesterday I found myself fishing a local stream with air temps hovering around freezing when I got there near noon before dipping below as day wore on. Given the conditions, my expectations were low, and walked down to the water hopeful for just one fish. The day turned out much better than expected, as one promising riffle produced four strikes in a 30-40 minute period, three hook ups, and two fish to hand. Not bad in my book for a mid-January day with ice on the fly rod guides. I was nymphing almost the entire time, using a beadhead pheasant tail (somewhat reminiscent of a stonefly nymph) in maybe a size 16 with a midge nymph dropper in size ~20. Both flies got hit, so I guess those were reasonable choices. I ended the day working back downstream with a bugger, but quickly lost it in a tree and decided to call it quits.

Water Liquid Fluid Watercourse Lake

Hand Salmon-like fish Fish Oncorhynchus Marine biology

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water was warmer, but not by much. I would have worked that riffle again on my way back to the car if my feet weren't so cold from wading. It was brutal. Next time I will put some of those chemical hand warmers in my boots before getting in the water. Only saw one other fisherman out there, who I chatted with briefly on my way down as he was coming back. He caught fish as well on nymphs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've started wearing my 5mm neoprenes that last couple of weeks, the 3mm's weren't cutting it. There's only a few months when the 5's work, after that they're just too hot, but two hours in the water last Sunday and I was still toasty warm.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my 3s that had been working well did not last weekend. But I did spend more time than usual almost to my waist working that one stretch. As soon as I got out of the water my feet warmed up somewhat. Here's to warmer weather.

·
Registered
598 Posts
First off a BIG hats off to you for even trying on such a cold day!

I remember fishing in my neoprenes and felt soled boots during the winter. The felt would freeze and expand creating a bend in the top of the boot - right about above my toes. Numb feet! Quickly I learned to row that dory in stocking feet!

Good on you bro for going out when few dared to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.