Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you guys know I've been fooling around with custom poured shads and rehabbing beat up lures. Lures are completly stripped down, dipped and tied....shads are cut up, melted and poured in molds...Well I kept thinking about all the shad on the susq that get hammered and the big LY in the bay and kept thinking you could target larger fish with larger baits....Soooooo, I made a 16" shad!:eek2:...not exactly a big cow...nice fat fish tough, but I was fired up regardless!dancedance

Anyway, for a the last two years I've experimenting with a very large shad. After a little trepidation toward using it on other boats (read...slighlty embarassed), I put it in the spread on Tuesday evening, rigged up on a 6oz refinished head with a 6" white grub/mini 'brella on a tandem with another refinished 2oz bait on short board line closest to the boat....We went 2 for 2 on that set up and had our limit. I have caught plenty on my "normal" custom/refinished baits....However, this was special to me b/c on the very large shad.

Both fish caught on east side, near BP in about 50'

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Very cool!!! :high5: There is not much better in fishing (IMHO) than catching on a lure or rig that you designed.

Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Cool deal - big Rock have no trouble wolfing that down.

Somewhere - I read a chart showing the preferred size bait for Rock. It was amazing how big a baitfish even the small Rock targeted.

Not sure if you have the time but I'm betting some of the guys in the MSSA tournament would love a few of your monster shads.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Anthony the boys laughed quite a few years back at the CBBT when I used a lighter to Fuse together 2 11 inch Taylures I made to make what Curtis called a double HUMPER that was like 16 inches WELL UNTIL they were slayin the big girls. Hey Dave fuse a few more of them ...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the nice words guys....and a BIG THANKS to you guys who've helped along the way with lead...Clancy, Old shads...Jim/Travis/Steve etc and to those who I've pestered on pm's about pouring and molding (sorry I forgot your name it was about 2 years ago)....Anyway, it was very satisfying and exciting....can't wait to pour a few more but IT TAKES ALOT of 6" shad to make 1 16" shad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts